Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

a day at the ritz

david(tx)

my running buddy in junior high days was named gerald scalf,we both had brothers the same age who also ran together some,gerald was a year older than me,he was wiry,i was chunky and just started thinning out at the time.

our brothers had a friend named raymond carroll,our brothers and him got into trouble together,raymond worked at the local theater,the ritz,as a usher general flunky type.burt huddleston,a local policeman worked the theater as a security guy,everybody knew burt that went to the movies.i never kissed a girl at the ritz,but burt called me loverboy,apparently he mistook me for someone else he had seen making out with their girlfriend,and he would be obliged to tell them to cut it out,i never let on it was somebody else:biggrin:.

anyhow,gerald and i had been bugging raymond to sneak us into the theater on a saturday afternoon,he had never done this for us,not that he was suppose to,but he had done it for our brothers once,and we wanted to be like them,actually it was gerald doing the buggin' because i didn't know raymond that well.

the ritz was on the corner on the north side of the town square and it had a side door.raymond told us to go to it,he would let us in and we were to follow him behind the screen to the stage.well all went as planned and there we were behind the screen,raymond told us to wait there for him and he would be back.

man it was neat back there,older theater seating was back there from another era,old signs,what have you.we rumaged around and piddled for a while.well,when raymond hadn't returned for a while gerald decided we should climb this old stationary ladder made from framing material up to this cat walk made up of a couple of 1x10's or 2x10's i can't remember.

we did, but you had to kind of crawl on your knees once up there then you could stand up.it was neat standing up there looking through the screen at the people watching the movie and up into the balcony,it gave you a whole new perspective.

we we laughing,but kind of trying to be quiet,that's kind of hard ain't it?well,it wasn't laughing that sunk our ship,but the fact that the cat walk must have served as a helper in bracing the screen,apparently when we moved back there the whole screen quivered,i guess it was distracting to those trying to watch the movie:biggrin:.

we knew we were in trouble when the beam of burt huddleston's flashlight hit us and he said what you boys doing up there?we came down and told him a fish story about how we got back there,we didn't want raymond to get in trouble,he ran us out with a lecture and don't pull this crap again.

whew,another bind we got out of.we ran that town from one end to the other,we had some great times then,it was during the vietnam era,and we were just kids.

with a couple of buddies hidden in the trunk.:lol: Saved us a buck, I believe it was. Hey...........that was gas money for the ride home.:lol:

but not more i don't think.the ol' dad had a couple of corvairs,the back seat flipped down and we put a friend under it going up to the pay booth.wonder what ralph nader would have thought:biggrin:.

n/t

n/t

n/t

at the old Royal Theater downtown Benton, and had to pay Lil Brother fifty cents not to tell daddy! We all grew up with "Flashlight Freddy", a guy who would walk the aisle and try to keep it quiet and clean! If you were snuggled up, or kissing someone, Freddy would turn the flashlight on you.

A couple of years before on the forum, both brothers and myself wrote our stories about living about a half mile from the Big Four Drive In, where all us local kids got to walk in free. Now THAT was one of our greatest childhood memories.

I understand what you mean about running the town streets. Back then, we could all do it and not have to be afraid! Our parents felt safe also. It's a shame those times are gone for good.

My daughter does not even like for her youngest son to go to the bathroom in the theaters now days, for fear of some wierdo being in there just waiting for a young boy!

Sounds like you and your friends could have been my brothers and their friends. Cute story! :)

Ours too David, a town of about 800 people. I am kinda back to that life now...finally! Nice quiet area here and nearest store is 7 miles away.:biggrin: