Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

a cry for help

david(tx)

in about 1981 i started work at the quaker oats distribution in dallas,it was the best job as far as benefits i'd had,it was a brand new warehouse and i was lucky i drove past it making deliveries driving a truck around town and stopped in to apply the first day they were taking applications.

i had sent in a resume to the home office in chicago after having contacted the man who would be the d.c. manager,i never heard from him,but i meet him the first day at work,this guy was a real character,i don't want to talk bad about him,but he was stupid.do you sense a little bitterness?well i was,i had to just be lucky the day they were taking applications to stop.i had to deliver casting sand to a small foundry that did that kind of work nearby that day.

well,i lived about 25 miles away,so i wanted to get a little closer so i got an apartment closer to work,i got off at 3 p.m. unless we worked 12 because if we worked 10 we went in at 5,we didn't take lunch,the gave us 20 minute breaks and if we worked overtime we took breaks every 2 hours.

on a nice spring day i got home about 3.30 because i bought a newspaper on the way home most days,i had my windows open and my front door also,i lived up stairs.

about 15 minutes after i got home i heard the voice of a woman outside calling for help,i stood up and looked around and walked down the stairs to get a better look,there next to the trash dumpster was a guy laying on the ground and a older woman stooped over him,i ran out to see what was wrong.

the woman told me it was her son and that they had walked to the dumpster together,she had thrown a bag of trash in and when she turned around he was on the ground.he jaws were clinched and his face was turning red.

i told her i'm going to try and pry he jaws apart,heck i was lost,i didn't know what else to do,and i said,if i can get them open a bit blow in his mouth.i pushed on his chin and tried to push on his upper front teeth to try and do this but no more than i started he relaxed and his color came back and he opened his eyes.

his brother whom he and his parents were visiting came down during this time and had ran back and called an ambulance.while waiting for the ambulance his mother theorized he had slipped and hit his head on the pipe railing that ran next to a seasonal creek next to the parking lot.

he had a knot above his eye i think.well i learned his folks were from michigan,and had come to visit their son and daughter-in-law.after the ambulance took him off i didn't see them again.

about a month later i saw his brother when i took some trash to the dumpster and he was walking up.i asked him about his brother and if they found out what the problem was,well,it seems his brother had been in a pretty serious car wreck a couple of years earlier and had suffered some head injuries,he recovered alright,was released from the hospital and cleared by his doctors.

so two years later due to some unforseen injury to his brain he had a seizure,and he said he would probably would be on medication the rest of his life.

i really felt bad for his mom,her desperate calls for help,and there wasn't a dang thing i could do,and didn't know what to do anyway.it was like being all dressed up,with no where to go.i really don't know if any layman could have done anything.my initial thought was that he had swallowed his toungue and i had grabbed a twig to be prepared in case i got his mouth open to flick his toungue back.

oh,well,just one of those deals:).

Thanks for the story.

sunny skies

M

not knowing how.

I only know one medical procedure, tracheotomy. If you get hurt, I gotta cut your throat. Only thing I know. You drown, I cut your throat. You break your leg? Yup, you got it.. In other words, stay healthy :D

Thanks for the post! It had to be scary and frustrating

i think i could do a tracheotomy if i had to,i remember that a barrel on a bic pen could be used,but i wouldn't want to try:).

my father had serious epilepsy due to a head injury and my younger years saw many times when my mother and i had to deal with "grand mal" seizures.
A person who has not been there could never understand, but you tried, which is more then most would do!

n/t

can do, and at least you answered the call. However, I learned the hard way about trying to get a persons mouth open if seizing. My ex who is a very severe diabetic almost took two of my fingers off of my right hand because I had them in his mouth trying to clear it out! Still, you do what you gotta do! :)

And it does make you feel helpless.About all you can do is prevent them from further injury and wait for help-or for the seizure to pass.

took me a little while longer,heck sometimes those things can be a great teacher on a personal level,just sorry your dad had to deal with those things,i'd bet there was no way he could predict it.

and saw a guy have one. It is not pretty at all :D

n/t

We were going to a wedding so I went down the road to fuel the car while the missus was putting on her finishing touches. As I stood there, across the road in front of a corner store, some guy collapses face first on the tarmac. And I kid you not, about five or six people just stood there, watching this poor guy convulse. I'm in my suit here, all dressed up. I couldn't stand by and do nothing so I run over and lay him on his side. He's face is oozing blood (broken nose) and I have to ask these bystanders to run in the store and grab some towels or something. I'm trying to protect his head from smacking up and down on the pavement, getting his blood all over my hands. Finally an ambulance arrives and they cleanse my hands with disenfectant. I wasn't very hungry that night.

n/t