Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Couple Recents And The Elephant In The Yard

MONKOO8

Hey Everyone,
Recently have been getting out more than posting and am still behind with documentation. Hopefully over the next week or so I can catch up some...
Am going to try and keep the post finds in order of date found.

The first group came from an old apartment building that I really wanted to check a few years back but was inhabited. Recently it became empty.
Happened to run into the person taking care of the property and acquired permission.
Shortly after starting to detect with my GTI 2500 and some new regular batteries (normally use rechargeable) the machine went wonky on me.
Messed around with it for over a half hour and nothing....just blarhahblarhablarhh.
Originally bought used 4 years ago this is the first time that it behaved in this manner and up to now didn't think to have a backup.
Reset wouldn't work and best to my knowledge it's a frequency issue. Have yet to call Garrett about a troubleshoot.
Next day put the rechargeable back in and it worked fine to which I raced back to try again knowing these detecting windows sometimes don't last long or someone else might also have the same idea.
The silver dime was the second to last target found as darkness fell.

The next set of pics came from a yard where my dad stopped at a garage sale, got permission and thought something good might be hiding at. We arranged to meet there a few days later.
It did look promising...were it 25 years ago.
It was a very obvious old house without a fence on the corner of a very busy road...hard to be overlooked...then to find the brass elephant in the middle of the yard confirming the metaphor for me.

The good was that got to get out with dad again. These days he has very limited mobility so he let me hunt the front first and pick up all the pennies, then went behind me with
his ancient machine to see how many I missed. 3 or 4. He got to show me the metal detecting metaphorical elephant of sorts in that almost no one no matter the detector can get everything in one go.
That made him feel good...me too.

Enjoy the pics and HH!

That elephant is sweet, and the story is great MonKoo8!! The trunked beastie cleaned up nice to!! A special place should be reserved for him.:biggrin:

Silver is always nice but that elephant is a sweet find! However the best priceless treasure is spending time with your dad.

Nice story about your dad, that it always the most warming moments nowadays.

Wanted to comment on that elephant since I love elephants, I just thought it was really cool. Any idea where it was from? Nice clean up on it too, got that shine back. :)

Glad you all enjoyed the story.
The elephant was a totally cool find that dad and I both got a total kick out of.
It definitely made this almost bust of an outing into a fun shared memory bringing home a nice trinket with some sentimental weight. A treasure indeed.

Dad after all is and has been my inspiration to metal detecting for the past several years and again when I was a kid thirty years ago following him around
trying to swing this big Whites coinmaster (his entry machine) propped against my hip because it was so heavy. :twodetecting:
Also recall and admit to a lot of pouting on many of those occasions as he always seemed to find silver and me rarely.

Think the elephant was a gift shop figurine. Nothing too old. This was my introductory foray with the dremel and am impressed with the results as well.
Thanks for looking, the comments and HH! :)

Glad you and your Dad were able to get out together. Nice finds on the silver mercury dime and love the elephant. When you removed your rechargeable batteries from your GTI-2500 and put in the regular batteries, did you remember to use the menu to change to regular batteries?

Thanks Fongu.
Am also sorry to hear that you shorted out your 2500. (Think it's one of the easiest out of the box higher dollar machines to operate.)
Most if not all of us have momentary lapses of better judgement, when if anything we should be grateful to be able to walk away.
Still kicking myself over needlessly losing at least a thousand pictures and the rest of my hard drive. Three or four years worth...:rage: :throw:

To answer your question, yes after a few minutes I did change the battery setting.
The issue returned a couple weeks later with rechargeable batteries.
Dad came to the rescue and hooked me up with a backup machine and the problem hasn't happened since. About ten outings.

Good luck to you!