Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A CLOSE CALL!

Ron J

When i was 21 or so,there was a gas station on the corner of Bridge st. & River st. The building still exists,but no pumps for years.Anyway,It was an "Anchor" brand station,named Mickys.Met alot of friends there.Micky was a great guy,for his age,and gave alot of kids a start,with a job! I always purchased fuel there,so i got to hanging around there nights.I wasn't one to hang around too long,rather go cruising,everynight! When ever i pulled in,who ever was there,usually came with me! Mickey use to call me "God"! Not in a religous way. (I was far from it) It irrated him,i heard him say more than once,"WHO is this guy? GOD?,Every goddamn time you pull in,nobody wants to work,they want to leave with you!" What can i say? One night,Mickys was still open,I was hanging around with my buddy,Bruce.Like a fool,i bought a couple of six packs for him.He wasn't old enough.I was,don't remember why i did it,I never drank in my life,Couldn't care for beer,or any other booze,Not then,not now!! Anyway,after awhile,we hopped into Bruce's 69 or 70 Bonneville sedan.It was dark,7 or 8 o'clock,and light snow flakes falling. Bruce started booting it in the Bowling alley parking lot behind the station,pulling donuts.I didn't like it,and told him to knock it off.We turned right on Bridge st.and Mr.Smartass booted it,again.. It was too late to say anything,a telephone pole,on the other side of the street,just before the bridge,had OUR name on it! I remember clear,like its right now,Whack,straight on,me hitting the dash,windshield,and then my passenger door opening as Bruce went flying out with me!! I remember getting up off the street,as headlamps were coming toward me.The Pontiac was going backwards,by itself,with Bruce running after it. By now,Ken Jones,came running out of his carlot office,after hearing the impact.He came right to me,asking how i was. I was dazed to say the least,saw blood on my jacket.Not to happy about that.I remember Bruce had gotten into the Pontiac,by now,trying to steer it back into the parking lot.I went into Kens office,to check my face.I had a nice gash over the right eyebrow! Bruce came in,and suggested we get to emergency room.We walked to my car,at Mickys,and drove to the hospital,where luckily,i only needed a few stitches. We drove back to Micks,and he informed us,the Police had shown up,and expected a phone call from us.Great! I asked Bruce,what had he done with the beer? He informed me,he had thrown it in the dumpster. Good.... We called the locals,and a cruiser came down.The officer asked us,to hop in the cruiser. Bruce jumped in the frt passenger seat,i,in the back seat.(they didn't have seat screen dividers then) So whats on the floor back there with me? A half empty sixpack! I couldn't say anything! The cop asked what happened,So Bruce started to tell him,we skidded coming out of the parking lot,into the pole,because of the snow.The cop asked what pole? He drove across the street,and aimed his spotlight on the pole.I remember the cop stating"Didn't move! Did IT!! He then asked if either of us had been drinkin,Bruce and i replying "NO WAY OFFICER" He then asked if we new anything about the sixpack he had found in the dumpster? Same reply "NO WAY OFFICER" The cop then informed me that i could SUE Bruce for my injury.The Officer knew,he had Bruce,but couldn't prove anything,But that SUE statement was meant to let Bruce know he new!! The cop drove us back,and dropped us off.Nothing became of the accident,except Bruce didn't have collision insurance,and still had to pay his uncle for the car.He only had it a week,and still owed a grand or more. Another friend i met at Mickys,was Rick Toloes,he was maybe 19 or so.I'd pick him up,when he was closing the station.A few times he was supposed to go pick his girlfriend up,he'd call her,tell her he broke down,or some lame excuse,so we could go cruising,or go buy a car or something.. A couple of years later,Rick ended up marrying the same girl.She never cared for me..Although i went to the wedding. When i was signing the quest book,i got a brainstorm,instead of signing my name,i signed "GOD". I knew she would be a bit peaved.. (Note: I mean no disrepect here,but it happened) One last thing i gotta mention,durin the GAS CRUNCH in the early seventy's,Micky would always have gas for me,and others. RJ

some foolish things when we all thought we knew everything! I never was in any kind of serious accident though. Funny, tho. You are not the only man that answers to that name! :)

because we were so clever that we stayed safe. I spent a lot of time crusing and drag racing, many times well over 120 with bald tires. Some of my friends were not so lucky. I am sure we all have friends, that did the same things we did, but did not get away with it. They died young...

the good Lord looks out for fools and innocence, glad I was a fool! :lol:
Those experiences are the ones we try to tell our kids about but they know everything and don't listen. Guess it's a rite of passage!