Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Christmas present from 1965....

Dan-MO

I received this Christmas present from my dad and mom in the mid 1960s,have lost it twice,and just found it again today.It is a large Case bone handled 2 blade folding knife and I was a happy young man when I opened it on that Christmas morning all those years ago!

A couple of years after I got it,my brother and I had roamed for miles away from the house rabbit hunting.The hunting was great and we shot so many rabbits they were getting to be too heavy to carry,so we stopped to clean them before we began the long walk home.We arrived home after dark,cold hungry and tired.Mom asked to use my knife to cut the rabbits up with.....and I discovered that it was gone!I was disappointed but too tired to worry much about it.My dad found out that the knife was missing and asked me when I had used it last.I told him about cleaning the rabbits and that I must have left the knife there.I would go look for it the next day.

This was not acceptable to dad who insisted that I retrace my steps that very night and find the knife.It was dark,cold,and starting to snow.I was tired and cranky but knew better than to argure much with dad,so with flashlight in hand and muttering under my breath,I walked out into the cold night to look for the knife.After a long cold walk I found it at the spot we had cleaned the rabbits.We got a heavy snow that night and if my dad had not made me go back,the knife would have probably never been found.After that,I was much more careful with the knife in the years that followed.

Flash forward in time to 1991.My wife,children and I had just moved back to Mo. after living for several years in Indiana.After a few weeks of getting settled and unpacking,I remembered my old knife and went to look for it.It was not to be found anywhere!I searched and searched but was it was not to be found.I finally sadly gave it up as lost in the move somewhere.

Flash forward another 14 years to this morning.I was looking for some old records concerning my retirement benefits from General Motors and in a long sealed little box of old insurance policys and other records.....I found my knife!What a happy day!I have no idea how it got sealed in that box. This time it is going in a safe,I will never use it again,just get it out from time to time to admire it and remember.

n/t

I know that there were times that I cursed [mentally..not aloud. My backside would still be a-hurtin if I tried that:lol::lol:] him and his so-called 'advice' But these days, I wish that I had him around to advise me more :)

take care

Sunny skies

M

It gives us another glimpse of your character and the values your family imparted to you as a child.

Thank you for sharing this special, special story. <><

AJ

This knife can never be replaced...too much personal history attached to it. Thanks for sharing this story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)