Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Call To Assist

Arkie John

This was on my email today. It had a sense of urgency that I have found rare in my dealings with these things. Looks like I'll be leaving next week sometime, so pray for me that I'll be able to make a difference.

Hurricane Katrina has unleashed an incredible amount of devastation to our Gulf Coast. While search and rescue operations are still underway, it is essential that we begin / increase recovery and restoration operations as soon as possible. There is a significant need for assistance.

Reportedly, more than 1,000,000 people have been displaced and are in need of temporary housing. We anticipate that the USACE Real Estate community will be asked shortly for volunteers to support the variety of missions required in the recovery operations. Real Estate experts for temporary housing, roofing, and debris teams will be in critical need. Along with GWOT, the recovery from Hurricane Katrina is a priority mission for the Corps. Therefore, please emphasize to your staff the importance of this mission, and identify those willing to serve by TDY to the Gulf Coast. It is estimated that the initial needs will be for a minimum of 30 days, but the missions will certainly be on-going for the immediate future.

I recognize that this priority mission will have a serious impact on your normal work, particularly as we get to the end of the FY. Again, I stress that this is a priority Corps mission, and your assistance is needed. LTG Strock has directed that we lean forward in our foxholes to support this critical mission. Options may include the hiring of retired Real Estate employees for Hurricane response or to assist in the District while your employees are TDY. Contractor support where necessary in the District, and project slippage as dictated by staffing levels are among other options to consider.

It is anticipated that formal requests (taskers) are imminent, and that every available Real Estate employee may be needed. Taskers will come through Englink and some have already been posted. Employees need to work with their EOC for specifics, as well as ensure supervisor approval.

In addition, please let me know the impact that deployments have on your operations. Also, please notify J-- L------ of deployments so that we can track our Real Estate members operational status.

I've been to a bunch of these things, but I must say I have never witnessed the devastation EVER, that I have seen. Earlier messages state that we should be prepared to sleep in sleeping bags in our vehicles, working in the most basic of conditions.

I heard on the radio this morning that the Southern Baptist Convention is massing volunteers (you don't have to be a Southern Baptist!) to depart to the area to run kitchens, shower trailers and to provide other basic needs as they are able. I'm sure there are other organizations in the process of organizing in much the same way. I would encourage you to consider a mission of this sort if you are in a position to do so.

Whether you are able to go or not, we all are able and in the position to thank the God of Creation for a warm, dry place to sleep and for the remaining health we still have. It is my prayer that you will allow Him to make you the person He CREATED you to be.

I'll be in touch when I can. You all mean a lot to me. I won't have a computer--Pssssfffft!Hey! THere won't even be ELECTRICITY for a while. But, I don't need electricity to make a difference. :) <><

aj

"To whom much is given, much is required."

I have to make myself remember that most of the people down there that need our help are not the amimals I see on TV looting the stores. I have no problem with the people getting what is necessary to live through this, food and water and such but the rest need shooting and I hope they start. They will be the ones that cause problems in the refugee camps too.

You be careful down there

It is such a massive job.....but the help starts with one person.

Sunny skies, calm seas, clear water

M

unfortunately they could not take all the hundreds of others who wanted to go.
Arkie John please be careful and "Godspeed"!
Wayne

am waiting for them to call me back. I am thinking about volunteering to go down but need more information, like how do I get there, where do I go, for how long,etc.
I am not sure if I will go, having a house up for sale is a problem but maybe I can work it out. It might be interesting and gratifying but also depressing and exhausting. I don't know

...but the LASTING memories will all be positive. Recommend keeping a journal for story fodder down the line!

aj

My company is in the process of organizing several truckloads of medical equipment and supplys to take there.I have volunteered to go-not sure if or when yet.My son is there now.

that truly can make a difference. God knows this as well. You better keep me up to date on when you may be leaving, and call me before you have to go! ILY, Lil Sis

plus a few days. We'll see. I'm ready to go and roll up my sleeves.

In a scenario, I see the best and worst in people. I choose to acentuate the positive and make every hour count that I am away from family--to make it really count.

Looking forward to going--looking forward to the return as well. <><

Johnboy