Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Bermuda 'Stay'cation

bdahunter

I should be in Mexico this week, drinking Margaritas and hunting the surf off of Tulum but it was not meant to be. Our old dog had a stroke several weeks back, just before we booked our flight - she survived the stroke but is in no shape to be watched by a petsitter so we are having a 'stacation' in Bermuda instead of a vacation in Mexico. A small sacrifice to make for a four legged member of our family who has always been a loyal and loving dog for the 12 years she has been with us.
Yesterday, Susan and I headed to the other side of the island to check out some of the sites in St. Georges, we stopped along the way and had lunch at the Swizzle Inn, it was delicious. After lunch we visited Fort St. Catherine which has been the main fort in Bermuda since the 1612, built to guard the main sea approach to Bermuda and St. Georges Harbour. There was nobody else at the fort this afternoon so my wife and I had the run of the place, this is the beauty of visiting the tourist attractions when it is low season - no crowds. For $7.00 each we toured the grounds and looked at the cannons and other weaponry, a real bargain. The main corridor of the powder magazine is supposed to have a ghost that has haunted the fort for centuries but 'George' was not in evidence today.

[attachment 147223 IMGP0523.JPG]

There is an excellent collection of firearms and swords on display as well as the bigger guns.

[attachment 147224 IMGP0536.JPG][attachment 147225 IMGP0552.JPG]

The fort is a reminder of the 400 years that Bermuda has been inhabited, H. Patterson left his initials in the wall here way back in 1711.

[attachment 147227 IMGP0597.JPG]

Just a perfect day for touring the historic site and riding a cannon, at least my wife thought so.

[attachment 147228 IMGP0577.JPG]

Afterwards we took a walk on the beach at the base of the fort and hunted for beachglass, not a bad 'stay' cation afterall. My wife is off all week and we are getting a chance to see more of this island that has been our home for the past 6 years.

[attachment 147231 IMGP0580.JPG]

But, at our age, they are very much our children... And we need them as much as they need us.

Very nice history shots..

What rules are there on Bermuda regarding detecting?

fair winds

micheal

Mikie said:
But, at our age, they are very much our children... And we need them as much as they need us.

Very nice history shots..

What rules are there on Bermuda regarding detecting?

fair winds

micheal

Bree is my wife's baby all right and she is the daughter of my dog Bear who passed on 7 years ago. (his picture is still on our mantle) I think you can tell a lot about a person by how they relate to animals. Bree has gotten really old since the stroke but she still wags her tail at dinner time or when you scratch her behind the ears so she's got quality of life. We are watching her closely to make sure that she is not in pain and will do the right thing by her should she start to suffer in any way.

[attachment 147259 PA150163.JPG]

As for detecting in Bermuda - no detecting historic sites or shipwrecks without a special permit and any beach hunting requires a permit from Parks Dept. but it is free and rarely are you asked to produce it. Those are the official rules and most amateurs work to that standard but there is plenty of looting of shipwrecks that still goes on as there is really nobody to enforce the laws. I work on the honour system myself.
As you can see from the photos, things are wide open here as far as interacting with the museum pieces. There is very little of the velvet rope barriers that are so common in North America when you visit a historic site.

So many nice spots to see there. I was really impressed with the color of the water flying in each time. I though the food there was excellent also. People were as friendly as they come. Is that wooden ship replica still in ST. George.

I hear ya on the animals. Our life revolves around the horses and dogs. They are a lot of work but also a lot of enjoyment. We have one getting pretty old here now and dread the day that we loose her. This is her here. Her name is buddy. this is her telling us her water dish needs fresh water, or she is low on food.

George

What a smart dog, looks like she is an excellent member of the household. The waters are a truly unique blue, some people think I doctor the pics but I don't, the water is just that vivid.
As for the replica of the Sea Venture at St. Georges it is a replica of the boat that wrecked here in 1609 and lead to the founding of Bermuda as a British colony. The boat is half scale I believe and it was built by youth volunteers only, back in the 1970's if I recall correctly. It is coming apart at the seams and there is an effort to restore it but with the current economy that may not happen now.

If I ever get to the point where the pain becomes intolerable then I have a pact with my wife to do the right thing by me and vice versa. Dying isn't my big worry (I've been close enough to death more than a few times) but suffering in agony is something I see no point in going through.

Cheers All,

Eric

I took from the plane. Awesome.... Buddy is a good dog for sure. Gentle as they come.... I remember the ship. Seems like there was a light house down there also we went to. I guess they used to rearrange the lanterns back then so the ships would run aground and they could loot them.

I hear ya on the dying in pain. I've been restarted on the paddles twice now. In the right place at the right time. Like you I don't fear, but prefer it to pain free. My wife Jane is the same, when its time, its time...But I'm sure not in any rush for it.......

I bet you really miss it there when you move on. We had actually though about being there when our son was born so he would be a resident so we could build a vacation home there. Otherwise if I remember right you can't be there permanent. I could be wrong on that, been awhile......

Geo-CT

6 years is usually the cut off but I have been extended because of my special skill set, that changed when my company was sold though so hard to know for sure. Bermuda is one of the few places where being born here doesn't give you resident status, the island is very isolationist that way. If everyone who came here and liked it was allowed to stay then things would be more crowded then they already are. As for missing this island when I leave, probably but who knows where I'll land next - it may be even better? Pain from arthritis in all of the bones I broke over the years is what brought me here so I will be looking for someplace warm to go after this island, possibly Panama is on the radar next, time will tell.
By the way, I've hunted some of the beaches where the wreckers worked and I must say they were thorough about keeping their loot - I found nothing on those beaches.
If you ever want a Bermuda fix then try renting the movie 'The Deep' with Nick Nolte and Jacquelin Bisset - all shot in Bermuda.

Like many here, we too have an older one .... she is 15 now.. And I am deading that day.. But for now, she is still healthy and happy.. It does not get much better than that

Calm seas

Micheal

I've been a "dog person" for my whole life so far!

Our last dog was 13 when she got very sick and we had to have our vet "take her pain away".

I'll never have another dog because I never want to go through that again!!

CJ

Great photos and story. Did you every get your Criss Craft finished. I sure want to go down there and do a little water hunting, see if I can get the Gulfhunter to go too.

Bayrat76 said:
Great photos and story. Did you every get your Criss Craft finished. I sure want to go down there and do a little water hunting, see if I can get the Gulfhunter to go too.

My ChrisCraft is still an ongoing project, though I am a little worried about the marina she is in going out of business before the work is completed. So many of the marinas in Michigan have been hard hit by this Depression. I'm hoping to have her done by spring of 2010.