Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A 12 point diamond is too blasted small to die for!!!

Cupajo

I got a call from a man saying he had lost a "12 point" diamond ring, would I please come to the beach where he was renting a cottage and find it for him as he was leaving Connecticut for Michigan the next morning and didn't want to leave the ring because the diamond was from his beloved dead gramma's ring and he had a pinky ring made for it and it hadn't been off his finger in 35 years and now it was in Long Island Sound (paused for a long breath). Obviously this fellow was upset and needed to find that ring! I promised to stop down in a short while, but I didn't want to mislead him by promising to find the ring. I told him I would do my best and that I had managed to locate quite a few lost rings for people over the years. He replied that I could name my price to which I replied that I don't charge as it is my hobby and I like helping people. After one aborted attempt I managed to locate the cottage and found a small crowd on the beach. As I approached with my GARRETT XL500 rigged for surf detecting, a man built like a line backer for the Green Bay packers separated from the crowd and rushed to greet me. Close to 300lbs of bear belly. bone and muscle, no neck and arms as big as my thighs, all wrapped up in a heavy haze of alcoholic vapor. He was too upset for the booze to have much affect, but I figured that if he sat quietly for 2 minutes he would be "out like a light". There should have been alarm bells, but my focus was on finding the ring, not on the potential danger I faced.

After introductions I found that the ring was lost while playing in shallow water a few feet from dry sand. I explained that as the sun was set we would have best results if I took the scoop of material I dug and spread it out on the dry sand where we could then find whatever caused the signal and with luck the ring.
I cautioned that the machine would respond to all metal so I may dig a nail or another piece of jewelry or possibly a coin. We wouldn't know until we checked the material dumped. Several flash lights were on hand and as I dumped each scoopful I spread it with my wader boot to allow me to pin point the location for the fellow to find the target. One junk ring, a couple of coins and a few pieces of junk metal later there was a small flash of light and there it was, the 12 point diamond ring! I said to the guy as I pointed, "I think that's it". He grabbed it up in a ham fist and said loud enough for people in Michigan to hear, " this is it! this is it , you found it you Son of a B_____, you found it", as he wrapped that ham of an arm around my neck, headphones and all and proceeded to jump up and down dragging me around with him like I was a rag doll. I'm trying to calm down this guy and he can't hear anyone, but himself crying and laughing and jumping around with me in tow!!!

After what seemed two lifetimes he decided he had hurt me enough I guess to express his joy and he let me go. Through ringing ears I heard him say that we would go inside and he would write me a check and in fear for my life I agreed, but only if he made it a small check. The check was made out for 200 dollars and I thanked him and got out of there. I don't think I could have survived any more of his friendliness.

When I saw the bruises of my face the next day from the Garrett underwater earphones, I thought perhaps I should have asked for more money just in case I had ear trouble from this escapade.

The lesson I learned was that in an emotion charged situation where alcohol is involved and the one emotion driven is of huge stature, be prepared for anything. In retrospect, I should have, the moment I saw the ring, put about a hundred feet between me and this guy. That way he would have to catch me to hurt me!!! Also, that I would always have to keep my wits about me under these situations otherwise this hobby could be hazardous to one's health, MY HEALTH!!!

Also a 12 point diamond is too blasted small to die for!!!!

HH Friends,

Cupajo

(No-one get 'em all, but I'm workin on it!!!)

for trying to do a good thing for someone. I bet if he ever loses anything in the future, he will give you a call...you made him very happy! Thank goodness you lived to tell the story...a very enjoyable story to read. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

Yes finding a lost ring for some one is a reward in and of it's self , and I have on occasion been lucky enough to find and return a few myself ...Well Done !

In that I am currently 6' and 275 lbs I have not had any one try to rough me up to much in their joy of having the ring returned ....
Bill G.

Hi Friends,
Thanks for all your replies to my story. Now for the rest of the story....! It may not occur to you to ask just how big a 12 point diamond is. I didn't know when I went lookin for that ring, but I had the lesson ground into me literally. As I understand the system, when a diamond is too small to give it a karat designation it is given a point rating and believe me a 12 point diamond is SMALLLLL!!! Of course size had no bearing on the emotion the fellow attached to the stone and I understand completely.

However I would never risk my life for a stone of that size from a purely monetary value consideration. I don't understand how it could even be faceted!

HH Friends,

Cupajo

(No-one gets 'em all, but I'm workin on it!!!)

No better feeling than returning a ring to it's owner! I have returned a few and have gotten more pleasure from returning them than I would have got from keeping the ring-with one exception. I once dug a gold school ring and spent the better part of a day tracking down the owner. When I finally found her she turned out to be a snobish 19 year old who snatched the ring from my hand without a word of thanks-then did everything but accuse me of stealing a platinum ring that she said was lost at the same time as the one I found. She was a real little witch. I promptly went back to the spot I found the ring and looked for the other for a couple of hours-never did find it. I am not sure I would have returned it if I had.In your case -you earned your money! Good on you and thanks for a great story!

Liquor involved in an emotional situation. It was very bad indeed. Heck, I married a couple of them:surprised:

Thanks for an interesting story Cupa!! You gotta watch out for those fat drunks! Shut your face Willy :D

Outstanding deed and a super story. Thanks for sharing, but always beware of gratitude that blocks out the sun. :clap::clap::clap: