Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

9 Volt Battery question: Alkaline VS. Zinc Chloride ?

MercuryMan

The other day I'm at the corner market and they have the Kodak 9 volt Zinc Chloride batteries on sale for .99 cents, now I know that the warranty info says to use only Alkaline batteries(duracell/energizer) in our Tesoro's, and I did some research on zinc chloride online, and found out they don't like temps over 71.1c, but seeing as how it's cool here in California, these ZC batteries are designed for high drain electronics, and I know some are saying .99 cents.."Are you nuts !!" don't put that in your detector, but case is I went through a brand name 9 volt in 3 days(about 9 hours of detecting) and at 3-4 dollars a pop for brand name, it gets expensive. I'll go with the majority voice here, 9 volt alkaline or 9 volt zinc chloride......what's everyone think

I doubt the ZC batteries would hurt anything as long as the voltage is proper. You don't mention what machine you are using or whether you use headphones, but I get much more time out of quality alkaline batteries than you mention. I do use headphones and most of my hunts are 2-3 hours with time off in between which may make a bit of difference.
BB

Vaquero, and CalRad HeadPhones, I don't know what's up with this particular battery, the exp. date on the Energizer said 2016, but I think it may have been a crappy battery to begin with, I usually spend the $$ and go with Duracell and they seem to give me the 20-30 hours that Tesoro states in the users manuals. I think I'll run the battery question by Rusty Henry at Tesoro and see what he says. Thanks BB.

I've had the best luck with the Duracell 9V battery. The ZC batteries won't hurt your detector but they don't last as long as the alkalines. One thing the worries me about the ZC is they leak and corrode much quicker than the alkaline batteries. Don't leave the ZC batteries in your detector. They can leak in as little as a couple of weeks especially in high heat.

My F2 will not run on zinc batteries. It will keep shutting off.
I read that Alkaline's are the same no matter what kind.

Mercury, if you want really excellent NiMH rechargeables....get the Powerex 9.6v Imedion batteries....thats what I use in the Omega. You need to use the Maha charger on these batteries as almost no charging units will properly charge a 9.6v battery. They last a super long tim. Total cost for 2 batteries & charger is about $50.00. The charger is worldwide and will charge batteries in 2 hours. Look in my previous posts, I provided links to someone regarding this. Units sell through A*azon.