Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

9.6 volt rechargeables for 9 volt Tesoros

SandCat

I read quite a few older threads regarding rechargeable batteries.

What has been you experience if you have used rechargeables? I'm mainly referring to the single 9 volt battery models.

I read that the Giffords said that the 9.6 volt batteries were fine to use. I also read elsewhere that the speaker audio may be louder with their use.

I'm thinking about getting the Powerex charger with three 9.6 volt 230 mAh batteries. Cheapest I've seen was about $57. Anyone ever use the 230 mAh batteries? How many hours can one expect from them?

(I also had thought getting the Tenergy 9.6V and mounting it under the control housing and fabbing an adapter for the battery terminal on my Vanquero, being careful not to make permanent modification so as to void my warranty. I suppose the 2300 mAh rating would have quite a longer run time than 1 9.6V.
Such an option seems more hassle than the Powerex option, so I'm leaning towards the simpler one.)

I've used the powerex 9.6v and they work really good. They deliver full voltage until they run down completely. I use a cheap charger from wal mart and have had no problems.

- - I get 9V alkalines, 2/$1at the dollar store. They last a long, long time and are ultra reliable. $57 will buy 114 of them.

With the normal 25 hours from one, I would have to use my detector for 2850 hours before I amortize the cost of the rechargeables.
At 10 hours a week of use - which is a ton of use for me - that would be 5.48 years. :surprised:
Since I cant buy 114 of them at once and expect them to last 5.5 years, I have to buy them on-going. Factoring inflation over time, my amortization falls to something like 5 years.

Chances are good I'll not have any detector that long!

The rechargeables are good, especially in the multi-pack, AA arena.
They are also well suited to the gadgety side of our nature, and add another intriguing dimension to our enjoyment of the hobby.

Practically speaking, though, I don't really see the point in the one cell Tesoro's.

I replaced the 9 volt battery with six AA battery pack mounted on the arm cup. Made a wooden dummy 9 volt, added two wood screws for the teminals, ran the wire inside the rod through existing holes. Used a piece of sheet metal to hold the battery pack against the arm cup, the bat pack slides out, the teminals are at the other end. The battery holder is about $4.00 at Radio Shack. Six AA last a long time.

dahut said:
- - I get 9V alkalines, 2/$1at the dollar store.

Dollar Store brand?

dahut said:
With the normal 25 hours from one, I would have to use my detector for 2850 hours before I amortize the cost of the rechargeables.

Yeah, cost of return was something I had considered. Good point.

jabbo said:
Made a wooden dummy 9 volt

Funny, I had thought about making a dummy like that. Make an enclosure for the Tenergy pack under the control housing attaching with the screw found there on the V.

Hmmm...

By the way jabbo, you're not worried about your warranty?

jabbo said:
I replaced the 9 volt battery with six AA battery pack mounted on the arm cup. Made a wooden dummy 9 volt, added two wood screws for the teminals, ran the wire inside the rod through existing holes. Used a piece of sheet metal to hold the battery pack against the arm cup, the bat pack slides out, the teminals are at the other end. The battery holder is about $4.00 at Radio Shack. Six AA last a long time.
Why don"t you just carry a spare 9v in your pocket and save yourself the hassle? One of the nice features of the Vaquero is its lite weight,why make it heavier? It take less than a min. to change the 9v.

If there was a detector failure or degrading issue, would need to call the factory and explain what you have; but I kind of doubt Jabbo would have much of a warranty issue if there was a circuit or coil problem. The 6 AA battery mod doesn't touch the circuit board and keeps the voltage where it's supposed to be.

And any weight that is moved behind the armrest, even just a little, is a positive move.
tvr