Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

8x6 SEF vs Stock Coil

Coilfishin

Since I cant get a reply from the posts I will start my own topic.

Are you digging smaller size holes with the SEF 6x8 coil as opposed to the STOCK coil?

Are you getting deeper targerts or as deep with the SEF 6x8 or NOT as opposed to the STOCK coil?

I'll give you a good try on your question:

In my mineralized soil the stock or PRO Coil will be deeper than the 6x8 SEF in fairly clean soil in most cases. Yes I can pinpoint simple and dig a smaller hole with the SEF ( smaller coil and pinpoint). However In trash I feel I can go faster with the 6x8 in terms of time it takes to find and retrive a target and it sill dig some coins at 9 inches or so. With the Pro coil I dig more coins at 10 or deeper with more ease of target ID but not as many with good id on the 6*8 at the deeper levels. I really like the smaller 6*8 in trash...it is clear and seperates great. That being said, most of the hunts I am on I use the larger 10x12 SEF whenever I'm not in the real trash as I love it for the same reasons, seperation, clarity and can get very deep with it as I am hunting mostly areas hunted over and over by lots of machines.

Remember, you have to get yourself to an area where the coins may be that old and deep to begin with. Otherwise you will be just as well hunting the top 6 inches with any coil as no coins may exist deep in newer areas.

There are lots of past posts on the coils if you look with the search feature and also on the Explorer fourm. I tested the Pro coil against the 10x12 and felt a SLIGHT advantage with the SEF mostly for its shape and the way I swing the coil as I could not notice much difference in the target acceptence between the two as they both work realy good on deep Azz stuff. Pluss I just think the look of the SEF is way Wicked and I like that also HAHA.
Don't be fooled the Pro Coil is a PRO Coil and is not a step behind anything out there and the SEF and it are very similar in thier abilities. If you are in trash though you will want a smaller coil and the SEF 8x6 is fantastic. There are some others but there is no real consesus that I can find on the previoius information that I have read. Bryce does a good job of coil testing on the explorer forum but it would be nice if someone could do more scientific testing with measureable differences in DIFFERENT Soils.

I don't know where you are from but if yoiu can borrow a coil and test it in your area that is the best way to go.

good luck bro and remember to let us know what you end up doing.

Coilfishin said:
Are you digging smaller size holes with the SEF 6x8 coil as opposed to the STOCK coil?

Are you getting deeper targerts or as deep with the SEF 6x8 or NOT as opposed to the STOCK coil?

the stock coil goes deeper, but the SEF 6x8 is no slouch, trust me, it can punch DEEP. The size of hole I dig is according to how deep the item is. If I am digging a target 3-4 inches, I dig a small plug, but if my depth meter is almost pegged to bottom I am digging a bigger plug so I can get deeper!!!! has nothing to do with the coil, both coils pinpoint like a laser. I do NOT use the pinpoint button....ever

I answered you question in one of the other posts.

This is the smaller 8x6 coil so I do not belive it goes quite as deep as the stock coil but it comes close. The size of the hole I dig has nothing to do with the coil I am using. If a person knows how to pinpoint correctly there is no need to dig a huge ( dinner plate sized) plug. Sometimes I will dig a little bit bigger plug if I am having problems pinpointing a target because I think there may be trash nearby or two targets close together. Some people say that digging a bigger plug is better for the grass but I hunt mostly in public areas so you have to be as neat as possible. I cant be digging dinner plate sized plugs everywhere......;o) Now people that hunt on private property that is a whole different story. It may be a lot easier for the to just use a shovel and dig a big hole.

Well the fact remains, if you have a 9-10" deep coin, you cannot dig a little plug, you need a decent sized plug so you can get down to it. Have you ever tried to dig a 3-4" wide plug then go straight down 8-10"....it aint easy, and if you got tree roots in there, forget it! I do not use a shovel anywhere except open fields.