Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

8 inch mono not stable

shocker2u

I got off early and hit the water with the infinium today.Machime worked good on sand but sounds like a accordian in the water'Boy does it like iron!I installed a magnet in my long handle scoop and it works quite well .Started getting frustrated at the constant false signals at the end of each swing.tried pump balance on fast then slow then lock.no luck My ears are still ringing!Going to switch back to big D COIL AND SEE IF IT IS MORE STABLE.Wondering if i should have got the Excaliber for the iron rejection feature.Next kid i see with a sparkler im going to break his fingers.lots of wire and beer caps!not many coins 2 in 2 hours 20 pieces of iron.tried running thresh hold silent raised discrimination to no avail.i am here on the gulf of mexico in florida .any clues ? comments?I miss my old pi 1000! wayne

Garrett's Infinium doesn't work in the Gulf Of Mex. I have been saying this for Three years on this site and Garrett is working on the problem. It works good on the east coast real good .

I'm just curious, where did you hear this news and have you actually used the machine in the Gulf of Mex waters?

Thanks and Happy Hunting!

THIS IS FROM A PREVIOUS POST:

This post is to no one in particular! The Infinium has no problems with salt water!!! The detector is a super sensitive machine and needs to be adjusted correctly to be used effectively. Most beach PI and VLF detectors are preset and detuned to not react to salt water. They lose sensitivity to smaller gold targets when detuned. This is why many machines have trouble detecting gold chains! All you need to do is look at the water machines that are used mostly in fresh water, they CAN and do pick up the smaller chains but don't work as well in the salt. The Infinium has been designed to be able to detect small gold (prospecting) and is SUPER sensitive (not falsing) when not adjusted correctly for salt water. The machine was designed as the name states: Infinium LS, L for land and S for sea to 200' depths for diving! The advantage with the Infinium is you can detune as you like right on the threshold to not miss the smaller deep gold that would not be picked up with other machines. The Infinium is so sensitive that if you detuned it up to 50% it would still detect deeper than most VLFs. There are great forums with expert advice on how to setup the Infinium for great beach hunting. I have been using the mono coils to great success on tough North East coast beaches! This is not a beginner machine, not the best choice because it's a PI on the beach, but amazing in the water. I read a similar post months ago and others posted back that they spoke to Garrett and were told that people are having great success in all salt areas with the Infinium (Garrett knew of no issues). This machine has it applications and when used correctly is very effective!

NEW: This machine takes time and practice to learn! This is not a beginner machine and will act like it's falsing if not ground balanced and adjusted correctly. This has been stated many times in various posts from many different hunters in all types of water environments! Again, I would not recommend this machine if time won't be spent learning it. I've only got around 60 hours into it and have a long way to mastering it. I've just started to really find a decent amount of good targets with it now. This is an amazing machine if the time is spent learning it. There are various forums including this one that have experts on this machine and all you need to do is PM one of them and I'm sure they'll help walk anyone through the learning curve! Thanks and HH!

Just got back from the park with first jewelry with infinium.Logging some hours to become more familiar with the tones and charicte.ristics.pinpointing getting easier but the tones still sound for the most part the same.Going to splash around in the water again tommorow to do my time.Looking for my favorite beach to hit.have tried 4 different beaches all with different bottoms and charicteristics.the beach i hit today i hit some clay so i think alot of rhe sand has moved off so targets should be more plentiful there.as i drive thu out the day i am stopping and checking the beaches to see how big the cut is.Clearwater vbeach had lots of sand and didnt find much today i was at pass a grill beach and sand was minimal but the shells were thick making it difficult to see whats in the scoop.I did use discrimination and when icould not get the acordian noise to stop i just turne the theshold to 0.was still getting signals but i was leary of what i was missing.not much radio interference there so it comes down to eliminating the salt.the most anoying was when i was working the cut in about 2-3 feet of water .When a wave would come the machine would react to the change in water depth.In time i will figure it out and with practice i will know how to better deal with it.not giving up!the pumping the coil on fast then slow isnt working when trying to tune in the water .the slow or fast setting doesnt help.

Most other detectors designed for water (salt) hunting are tuned to eliminate the salt factor. Garrett chose to not eliminate the salt, as some small gold is lost as you increase the amount of disc to eliminate the salt. So, you must advance the discrimination to around 2-4 to run it stable in salt water. The machine WILL operate in all areas with salt water. If the area you are hunting is loaded with lots of iron, you will unfortunately pick it up. That's typical with all pi's. You should switch to another machine with discrimination to hunt with some peace and quiet (stability). Unfortunately, you will lose depth and miss the deep well sought after targets such as gold. Most people who do well with the Infinium use it on regulalrly hunted or hunted out beaches where a lot of the iron has been removed by others hunting, leaving the real deep gold for your picking. They also have a second water machine to deal with iron laden targets beaches. No machine does it all.

Try turning up your discrimination and digging only the high low signals if searching for gold. The targets with a long sustain are usually pop can sized targets. The double bleeps are usually bobby pins. Use the iron check if you like. If you adjust the iron check knob to its extreme, iron sound will not change too much. However, aluminum and gold will give a nice soft sound. Gold will give off a soft, well defined signal no matter which way you swing it. I have pulled out gold rings well over 14" with my Infinium using the 8" mono coil. It is my favorite. My buddy uses the large DD coil and does well with his. The Infinium is also tone sensitive, in that it tends to give off a harsher sound on old rusted iron.

If you are out in the surf and experiencing falsing / instability, try lowering the electronics into the water. That quite often removes a lot of the chattering.

Give the Infinium the time it deserves to learn, and you will be pulling targets out at unbelievable depth.

Hope this helps.......
<center>

OK, (1) How are you wrapping the coil cable? (2) did you try the Black Davy "frequency adjust trick"? (3) An aggressive ground balance involves slow bobbing of the coil with it sitting on the sand at some point while tuning out the grounding affects. I start in slow until smooth, then I do the same in fast then lock, spending time to do the balance is critical to smooth operation. I was having the same type of problem and found the PI detection field was so sensitive it was picking up my scoop on some of the swings. I also had signals from some water boots that had metal eyelets on them. I think the water intensified the signals (you did say you had a magnet in the scoop). I won't even mention using the reverse disc or the Iron-check function until we get this figured out with the detector running stable for you. Send me a PM and I'll help where I can and get help from others too!!! Remember, I'm not a pro with this detector yet but hope I can help some.
Thanks and HH!

thanks buddy !I dont give up ever!!!!!!! Iwill make it work !I have that drive that some people dont.compulsive?determined?dont know what its called.Funny you mentined eyelets .the boat shoes i was wearing have metal eyletsin them.the magnet forks great.iths the size of a 1/2 dollarand 1/8 inch thick.I will send u one if you pm me.I get them off a ultraviolet light that i install atmy work.A whole lot easier to pull the little pieces of wire off the mag as oppose to chasing them around the bottle caps stick great too !my coil wire is taped trraight up the shaft then coiled when it reaches metal rod.I tape up my unused adjustment holes to keep sand out, thank you for letting me pick your brain and any help is greatly appreciated!ke
bluesprings076.jpg

[IM
bluesprings077.jpg
G]http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc106/shocker2u/bluesprings078.jpg[/IMG]

OK, here's some more tips from lots of old posts! These are some of the best tips I found on the Web that helped me out a bunch and got my machine working well for me!!! I know you want to waist mount it from the photos, but give this a try to see if it helps first and until you learn the machine!:poke:

From old post:

Tape the coil wire from the coil straight up the rod for the first 18 inches to secure it so it doesn't move at all when in the water. As you can see in the last clip: Not waist mounted.

From old post:

1)Aggressive ground balance.
2) How much loose wire do you have down low and at the control housing. If you have to much loose wire moving in the surf this can cause false tones.
3) Move your discrimination to 2-3. It sometimes took my unit a few minutes to adjust to the ground or water before it stabilized.
4) Try changing up from lock to slow or fast in the water.
5)Try the Black Davy frequency balance as a last resort, this always works for me. Somewhere I posted this.
6) Is your control housing shaft mounted or waist mounted. I gave up on belt mounting as I have two coils with bad connections.

I like to use my 5x10 DD and 8" mono for the water. The 5x10 is more stable but the 8" cuts the water and does not bob.

From old post:

I did have it waist mounted next to two 10# weights the unit slung to the right, and coil wire fully relaxed and looped widely in front of me. Never thought of any of these things being noticed by the MD. Also being in the salt water would truly enhance the conductivity, Thanks, for all the info will be going to work on it tomorrow. I did read your topic of the ground balancing technique using fast, pump, and guess what I also read is that you should wait a moment, then slow, pump, and wait a moment, move to track, leave settled for a while and go detecting.

Please try these great tips as these were posted from Infinium users learning and sharing important ideas in the past!!!
Keep asking questions, practice, it will come to you!!!