Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

8 inch concentric coil?

rebelLT

anyone ever use the 8" excellerator coil on an explorer? I was thinking about picking one up for relic hunting. The pro coil is kinda rough and a little too big to be banging aound in a corn field.

After using DDs with the explorer for so long it was hard to get used to. I have'nt really tried it extensively at worked out sites to see what it can do.

Chris

n/t

Personally, I prefer DD coils all the way. Using a concentric coil is like passing a pointy glass bowl through the ground, and seeing whatever lands 'in the bowl'. Using a DD coil is like passing a glass pane through the ground, and seeing what passes through it. Traditional comments/thinking regarding concentric coils are that they are able to go deeper (but only at their very tip), and that pinpointing is easier (since there's no 'direction' associated with it). I don't buy the 'deeper' part so much, but the concentric coils do avoid the need to 'rotate the coil' that comes with the DD. A good signal with a concentric (when one can be found) is going to stay a good signal at any angle. Pinpointing with a DD is easy to learn; the only thing that makes it challenging is being able to pick out signals amongst trash, but these are signals the concentric coil likely wouldn't have found anyway...

I like the DD coil and have them on my SE & e-trac. But on my f75 I use the small 3x7 concentric coil. It works better in the very trashy spots. In Dec. of 08 I went over some ground with the SE & e-trac ( the se had a x5coil) 3 times and then came back over with the f75 and go 3 seated half. The ground was very trashy there. And I'm not trying to start anything and saying the the f75 is better , all I'm saying that in some ground the concentric is very good.

The concentrics ID steel bottle caps better but that's its only advantage.

I'm a F75 LTD owner but I can say that when swinging the 3x7 or 5" DD, you'll never cover all the ground no matter how hard you try so the SE that had the x5 coil most certainly missed the Seated Half. You just got lucky passing the 3x7 over that target. But in trashy areas, I'll take any machine with a small coil over my LTD with the big, stock DD.

Good analogies dirt flipper! The benefit of a concentric coil is like you guys say... A concentric coil will find whatever it is going to find on one good pass through the area you are detecting however if you want to find everything you can you have to overlap 75- 80% of the previous swing while the DD coil you will not have to over lap the swing as much (perhaps 20-25% over lap) but to find all items you generally have go back through the same area from different directions and angles, Though its "window pane" configuration is very helpful for squeezing in between trash that ordinarily masks good signals. If I am not mistaken the butterfly coils and to a slightly lesser extent the pro coils overlapping DD are combining the best of both worlds.

It all so depends on where you are hunting , like how much trash there is in the ground. Where I found the half it was very trashy . I have a etrac with the stander coil and a SE with a 6x8 butterfly coil it works ok in places with some trash. But for very very heavy trashy spots a concentric coil will work better sometimes.