Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

8 Hour Hunt Nets 106 Coins - From Wheat Pennies to SBA Dollar + Franklin Half

Dman

I received permission to hunt three houses in my home town. One house was built around 1900 and the other two were built in the 1930s. I started hunting at about 6:00 AM. I had only planned to hunt for a couple of hours, while it was cool. The first house (the one built in 1900) I dug 4 wheat pennies: 2 from 1919, 1 from 1917, 1 from 1944. All these were 4-5 inches deep. I found the Barber dime at about 6 inches and a diamond broach (costume jewelry) at about 8 inches. I also dug a reins guide at this house. I unearthed several clad coins and Memorial pennies. I just didn't keep up with how many. The second yard is where I found the most silver coins. The first coin I dug was a 1920 wheat penny at about 4 inches. The second coin was a 1940 Washington quarter. I found these within 5 minutes of the search. I believed I had hit a virgin yard. I then dug a 1930 wheat penny. Soon after I found a 1947 Rosy and four more wheat pennies. I then hit the Franklin half. I just about fell over when he came out of the hole. That was the first Franklin that I had dug this year. After the Franklin, I found a Tex-A-Toy 1954 50 cent play money. I dug a 1936 Mercury dime. All these coins were between 4 and 7 inches deep. I found several wheat pennies from the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s. I found several clad coins and Memorial pennies between digging up the "good" coins. The last house I discovered an assorted amount of wheat pennies dated in the 1940s and 1950s. I dug a SBA dollar that was only 2 inches deep and 3 Roosevelt dimes: 1954, 1958, and 1963. I also dug one Mercury dime: 1936. I got a 1971 Canadian quarter that had been made into a necklace. I found assorted keys, toy cars, a lipstick holder, and one silver plated spoon as well as a Monopoly game hat and a pound of other junk. I wish I had kept up with the number of wheat pennies I found in each yard. I just kept tossing them in my pouch with the clad and the memorial pennies. I was surprised that so much time had passed. I wanted to find as much as I could because there are some hunters in this town that will sneak onto a property if they see me hunting it and tell the owner that I gave them permission. I warn the property owner of this probability. I plan to go back and search these yards again after it rains. It is really hot and dry in Tennessee.

Very nice day, Dman. That was a lot of digging and really nice bunch of silver. Ya, we need rain badly here in the western part of the state. HH jim tn

That's some really cool finds Dman! The iron plate in the top right corner does resemble a clipped corner belt plate of the CW period although most were made of sheet brass. There are some that were iron. It will take some close examination to verify. Should be some faint remnants of solder on the back. The tiny slots would be for attaching company letters etc.
Good hunting,
David@Dixie