Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

8'' Excelerator coil,

Dean Stone

Ok all you pro,s. I need advice. Will the 8'' Excelerator coil get me about 2'' more deep than the 5.3 on my mxt? The ground is mailed. I can turn up the mxt to +2 or +3 and still run good with the 5.3 Now that JW has them on sale. Need to know. Thinks Dean

It's possible. I'm not familiar with the 8". I have used the 6"DD and it gets a little better depth in my mineralized ground than the conical 5.3. The 8" DD will do better in mineralized ground than an equal sized conical and in low mineralized ground the conical usually has the depth advantage. Sooo, you are comparing a 8"DD against a 5.3 conical. It should boil down to your ground and hunting skills.

As Larry said it depends on your soil. It's hard to compare your conditions to mine if you are guessing. My ground is about 5 coin- inches using Jeff Fosters method. In my soil a DD does better and I do get better depth then the concentric 5.3. The 8" is a least as deep as my 9.5. Of course my 10" is deeper than them all. I have the 8" but pretty much have been going with the 10" and 6" coils. Rob

8" DD Excelerator if the ground is rather mineralized (iron mineralization), but in mild/mellow ground, the 5.3 Eclipse on an MXT or M6 will do well.

Personally, I prefer a 10" DD coil for open-area hunting in moderate + to very mineralized ground, and a 6" DD Excelerator when I get into trashy conditions in 'bad ground'. When I have the opportunity to search decent ground environments, I like the 5.3 Eclipse.

Monte