Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

7x9 or 10x12

hey tab they only make the 10x12 in widescan for the vaq, don't they , would that still be deeper than the original coil/

You got me there. I did not know that there was not a 12X10 H.O.T. concentric coil.

I don't know about the DD 12X10 coil. My guess would be that the 12X10 would be a little deeper.

I do know that the 12X10 uMax coil is one of the deepest standard coils offered by Tesoro.

Sorry, maybe someone els will know.

HH,

The 12 x 10 double D that fits the C/V/T is not any deeper (in regular soil) than the 9 by 8, in my opinion. It does give you better coverage (you can cover more ground faster), but the depth is no better. In my opinion the best coil for the V is the stock 9 by 8 coil that it comes with. As a general rule, concentric vs. widescan coils of same diameter, the concentric coil will be deeper UNLESS you have mineralized soil. In mineralized soil the double D coils will give you an advantage and better depth.

I tried a 12x10 concentric on my Bandido 2 Umax which weighs about the same as the Vacquero , for my taste it was a bit too heavy for the light unit and messed up the balance , I like a 5.75" or a 7" on that weight of detector .For going deep and digging everything , I'll take the stock 9x8 on the Tejon a real
nice balance of weight and plenty deep .
H H ,
DD

To get better depth with concentric coil the soil got to be really mild.
Practicly the DD almost always as deep or deeper than the stock ones.
And i didnt even talk about the speed.Lot of times the size of the scaned field is more important matter than the slight depth advantage.With the 12x10 DD you can scan double surface under a same time so you have double chance to swing the coil over a target.If you go somewhere faraway you wont have time to go back 5 times to check the whole place.You got only a day.And to go slow with a stock coil is tiresome.And i feel a little more sensitivity for small items with the DD coils over the stocks if you compare 2 about equal size coil.Take a look on few really good detector like xp goldmax and minelab explorer.They have DD coils and you couldnt say they are bad.

actually the soil has to be pretty bad for the DD coil to have any advantage. Hunting the hot soil in Virginia there is little difference. The sweep area covered is somewhat greater toe to heel with the DD coil. There is a misconception on the DD coil that the depth is the same front to back (toe to heel) and generally that isn't true. There is some drop off in depth at the the front and rear. And yes, I have used the detectors and coils mentioned. And yes I do use DD coils on occasion for their better coverage and in tight areas where they allow more movement due to their size.
Pap

I dont think the soil i tested my coils in is really bad and i got big difference between 8x9 and 12x10dd on tejon.The coin i mesured in air was at 13" in ground it was only 7" but if i use the 12x10 its 10".And its a fact!So far i hunted on really different coloured soils and i always found the DD deeper a bit.Hard to find a place here where its even.

I been trying to find a reason for getting the 12x10 coil.
I like relic hunting more than local general coin and whatever, but the relic hunts are not as often due to distance and time restraints.
Besides stock coils, I got the 5.75s for the uMax series and the 5.75s both concentric and wide scan for the H.O.T series.
Most of the relics I do are in trashy areas so that's why I went for the 5.75 coils.
Most of the inputs I got on the 12x10 is the depth over the stock 9x8 is very minimal, and that the 12x10 covers more ground for cleaner areas.
This makes me wonder if the Tejon has more of a gain in depth using the 12x10 over stock, compared to my other Tesoro's if they were using a 12x10 coil over stock.
Like I say - been looking for a reason, enough to make it worth while.

on the Tejon it will add slightly more depth and somewhat better coverage front to back. The thing I sort of didn't like was the added weight seemed to make the detector a little "nose heavy". But hey, you only live once unless there is such a thing as reincarnation in which case you might come back as a...well almost anything.
Pap