Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

715 White Spar Road......and points south

Jbird

Tesoro metal detectors are made at Prescott, AZ......address 715 White Spar Road. For over two years in the mid 90,s, my address was 714 White Spar Rd, right across the road from Tesoro. This is a story about how White Spar Rd got its name plus some personal experiences thrown in.

Just a little southwest of Prescott is a small mountain named White Spar. The southern edge of that little mountains peak consists of a huge vertical slab of pure white quartz. As I remember it, that slab was approximately 150 to 200 foot tall. That quartz had been mined at one time back when white quartz sold good to rock collectors. It was a fairly easy hike up an overgrown 2 rut road from Prescott and the peak of the mountain wasnt too hard to climb.

I made a new aquaintnance with a lady named Vivi. Vivi was a very accomplished person. She had taken college classes in Yoga, astronomy, the use of herbal medicines and aromatic therapy. She was an accomplished designer of southwestern jewelry. She also made athentic leather indian clothing. Vivi was a first class artist with many different skills. She had moved to Prescott on the promise of a very prominent jewelry store owner that he would hire her to emphasize a southwestern line of jewelry. But when the store owners wife got a good look at Vivi whe decided that her husband might not be able to avoid temptation with someone that looked as good as Vivi and Vivi's new job got canceled. So Vivi ended up being a free lance artist plus teaching some Yogi classes.

Being a New Age type person, Vivi had a strong belief and interest in the power of quartz crystals. She had little quartz crystals hanging in all her windows and over her door to ward off evil spirits and such stuff.

I am not a new ager but anything goes when you are trying to impress a good looking girl so I took Vivi for a short ride south of town and parked at the one spot where we could see out through the ridge after ridge of ponderosa pines and get a view of White Spar mountain. Vivi was really impressed so I took her west on Ponderosa road and out on a two rut road along a ridge where we could see most all of White Spar mountain just as the sun was setting. It was a spectacularly beautiful sight with that huge quartz spar gleaming in the sun and developing different rose shades as the sun was setting. Vivi went nuts, waving here arms and making strange sounds. I was hopeing she would hug me.....or something... to show her appreciation but she didnt. She just kept saying, "Shut up" everytime I tried to interrupt her new age doings.

Vivi insisted I take her to the top of White Spar but my feelings were still hurt so I kept stalling her off. I warned her about going by herself because the forest out that way was loaded with new age type dope heads who could be dangerous to a lone woman. Vivi had a head harder than any kind of rock, including quartz. She didnt know about the old road to the top of the mountain so she drove her van out and left it parked on the highway from where she had a direct line of site to white spar. Off goes Vivi, wearing a new sheepskin vest that she had just made, slogging her way over ridge after ridge of heavy forest. Up a ridge, down through a ravine, time after time, determined to climb white spar on her own.

About sundown that day, I get a phone call from Vivi. She informed me that she had a big club. "So?" I said cautiously, "whats the deal with the club?" She said it was for me. I said no thank you I didnt need one. She said it wasnt to give to me but to use on me. Seems like it was my fault she had climbed white spar on her own. I said I didnt want the club either as a gift or upside my head. She said she was at a certain place south of town and needed a ride. I said no ride untill we negotiated a deal about that club business. Speaking in one of those imperious schoolmarm type voices, she said "I need a ride." I told her to throw the club away and it was a deal. We negotiated untill she was allmost in tears before I reluctlantly agreed to go pick her up.

Vivi was a bedraggled sight. She had made it all the way across country and up to the peak of white spar and then had followed the overgrown road back to the highway. That cute little sheepskin vest had snagged on every bush and tree and was still loaded with various forest momentoes. I took her out to where she could pick up her van.

Vivi insisted that she had to be on top of white spar mountain at sunset and on into the night. I tried to enlist some other people to go with us but had no luck. So off we go and before sundown we are on top of White Spar. Vivi is sitting crossleged on top of a large rounded rock. She snippyly informed me she did not, repeat, did not wont to be interrupted. I sat down on another rock and fired up a cigar, making sure I was downwind of Vivi. Them new age types dont approve of smoking. Just about dark-thirty, Vivi starts doing her thing. Arms held out and up with thumb and middle fingers forming a circle, looking upward with eyes closed and making long moaning sounds something like "aahhhooooommmmmmmmmm".

I dont mind some quite times when I can just sit and think and meditate about all the misstakes I have made in my life and how uninteresting life would have been flying along on the straight and narrow. And I have had a long life to contemplate but by the time I was finishing up my third cigar, I had just about had enough of that new age "aahhhooooommmmmmm" stuff. So I jumped up and started hopping up and down and shuffling around in a circle and making those indian sounds something like "hey yi hey yi hey yo yay." Vivi jumped up screaming and wonting to know what the XXXX I was doing. I told her I was doing the indian rain dance. And then she tore off down the mountain, moving like a mountain goat in the dark. I couldnt keep up with her. I yelled her name a couple of times and she yelled back something to the effect that she didnt care much for me. She made some especially disparaging comments about my ancestry. I was hoping some new age dope heads didnt grab her before I could catch up with her but we both made it safely down to my pickup at about the same time. Vivi informed me that she would agree to ride with me but was not talking to me. I said, "Thats fine with me just as long as I dont have to listen to no more XXXXXX aahhhoooommmmmmms." Vivi high tailed it off down the road, off in another huff. I let her walk in my headlights untill she finally got in the truck and I took her home.

I think Vivi had neck trouble for about a week after that because everytime she got a glimpse of me she had her head throwed back staring down her nose at me. The mail boxes in our mobile home park were located right in front of Vivi,s mobile home. When I would catch her watching me check my mail, I would start doing the indian rain dance, round and round the mail boxes. One day she almost smiled, raised a window and said, "You know you are crazy dont you?" to which I replied, "aahhhoooooommmmmmm". She slammed the window and gave me that old down the nose look again. That girl had nostrils like a 12 gauge shotgun.

i reckon i understand your dilema. Tough when you run into those types, i think Royal got a bit further with his....and wished he hadn't!:bouncy:
Funny tale bud! LMAO Thanks!

She appeared to be one bossy woman...the type that are trouble. Do you have any photos of that area?

Your story made me think about Enchanted Rock and the Topaz found in that area. I do not think it is that far from Kerrville or San Antonio...maybe a two hour's drive.

Thanks for posting this story, kinda funny reading about hard headed Vivi. Please have a great weekend! Kelley (Texas) :)

Fred, I may have given the wrong impression of my friendship with Vivi, no romantic involvment, just a great friendship. She felt free to fire away at me and I felt free to fire away at her. Never a dull moment in our friendship. One of my great faults is to see humor in almost everything and I guess it irritates some folks. Vivi was dead serious about lots of this "new age" type stuff and I could really get her fired up razzing her about it, which I did at every opportunity.:) My rain dance routine just really lit her fire. Her getting mad at me for a week or so at a time seemed to be just a little game we played between friends. She was last seen heading for Las Vegas where she had relatives and where she began life as a chorus girl.

You are looking at this from the womans point of view.:) With someone like Vivi, the trick is to keep jerking their chain often enough to keep them in reactive and defensive mode. Otherwise........they will drive you NUTS!

On our first farm, we sorta had a hippie-type commune there. People would move in and out, some would return, others did not. But in the very centre of our fields, a lady called Gail [or Tree, as she like to be called] erected her artwork. Somehow, she got a grant for several thousand dollars and built.........., I can only describe it as an upturned keel from a sailboat. And when it was finished, she spent hours and hours sitting by it doing the Vivi thing!!! :)

sunny skies

M

I kinda like to poke fun at things in life...sorta helps to maintain a proper positive outlook on life. Humor is a tool that can help one get pass the occasional rough spots in life that we all encounter, and makes life more interesting. I love your stories! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

one FUNNY story! It sounds like some of the stuff that I could have gotten in to in my early years.

I'll be sure and look Vivi up next month when the wife and I go to Vegas:lol: Ill try to have a pocket full of crystals too!

Thanks for the laugh and another good read.

Lil Brother:beers:

.....never be around new age type doings and doubt stories about the Vivi,s in this world. Prescott is kind of a mecca for that way of thinking. It had two small colleges. Both taught new age type subjects. There were at least two restaurants and one good sized grocery store for vegetarians. Herbal doctors and acupuncturists abounded. Lots of pale looking vegetarian women walking around wearing full length frontier style dresses.

Vivi sounds a lot like my oldest sister! I think she's NUTS:crazy: but she's family!

Dave

gal I used to date. She had everything going for her, beauty, smart as a whip, one heck of a great attitude :D but we could never get along. She was and is still an artist and a darned good one.

She could have been the one if we could have stood eachother. For little bursts of time we liked eachother but most of the time one or the other of us were Pizzed.

Miss that purty little redhead :D Sometimes

I love your way of writting!!