Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

705 X-Terra Gold Prospecting Mode - False Signals

Dirtypirate

Okay, I say "false signals", these are actually real, but end up being iron or anything else than gold. I'm new to X-terra and a "Prospecting" metal detector (I bought the gold package). So you all know up front...Nothing touches Minelab!!! I've had other metal detectors but nothing as expensive (at least for me...but given the name and history of this company, you can't go wrong. Within several days of detecting in coin/relic mode, this detector has already retrieved a couple hundred dollars of loot! I'm happy.

Now, onto the question. I was out today for the third time, tuning, playing and scanning with the settings I feel would have dialed this detector in for gold. I've read and watched enough videos that would probably accumulate to about 4 1/2 hours. But what I can't understand is the tones that come in on prospect mode. In other words, you get iron/magnetite and assuming gold, but no way to distinguish between the two...is that right? I have found rocks that contain gold with this detector, but it is so fine that I inspect small sections of the rock under a high powered scope...very cool! I also have a hand-held detector that will sense gold so fine you can't see it. Every rock that pops up as positive in the field, I scan it with my hand-held and it screams...so the x-terra can find the micro gold! BUT, I would like to know if I can tune out the iron and hot rocks? I have used the method of switching to coin mode and setting AM and if it's a strong iron or hot rock, it will show it. I feel there must be another method...I have to say I was a little tired after about 50 minutes of flipping rock and digging sand. Let me know your thoughts here. Thank you all in advance!

Check out page 19 in your manual. It pertains to adjusting the Iron Mask level in Prospecor mode.

I'm on it thanks. You think that would be "Metal Detecting 101" but given the internet, it just becomes second nature to dig in. Thank you sir. I'll report back!

Okay, well this was played with a bit in the field, but I'll shoot for a couple more outings before I make a final decision on this. There was a video out there that stated 5 is a good prospect mode for discrimination, so this was the first day I fully stayed in this mode. I had it at 20 and still was hitting iron like mad a few days before! Please feel free to speak your experience in the prospecting mode. Every manual/write-up on this mode is VERY brief to say the least..that's not a bad thing, it could just be as simple as stated...not much to write, "just do it"

Have you read/downloaded Randy's E-book? It only has one page devoted to prospecting, but might help.
It's available by following the link in the sticky post at the top of this sub-forum.

Ive been gold hunting with my 705 and done quite well.I'm wondering if your false signal is is the normal sound not a false signal.a test nugget is invaluable in the gold fields.the sound between gold and iron can be heard right away,it helped me out alot.Good luck to you and keep swinging.:detecting:

Old Longhair said:
Check out page 19 in your manual. It pertains to adjusting the Iron Mask level in Prospecor mode.

Good post!

My experience is that if it beeps, check it out. I have been out 3 times now in the desert using my X-Terra 705 and have the 1st hunt found gold in the nature of a 2.4 gram nugget. A thrill I will never forget. The last 2 times out I dug a ton of iron and assorted metal targets, no gold. The signals that appear false are probably hot rocks, lots of iron in them. If you are hunting for gold and you don't find hot rocks, you are in the wrong area. Just like digging flip tops, you will dig a lot of them before the gold ring sounds off. I have learned that if I get a signal on the first pass, I will sweep again from a different direction, usually or most of the time the signal will fade or breakup, it won't be that solid signal, that will more than likely be the hot rock. I also drag my pick with the magnet across the area and I found lots of magnetic rocks stuck to it. Sometimes, just taking my boot and scraping the top of the dirt will break up any halo effect and give me the true signal. Takes practice, I read, then I hunt, go home and ponder, then read, then hunt, then ponder its all starting to make sense now. I have used my X-Terra about 12 or 13 times now and have had sauces. I really like it, its a great machine and I have much to learn still. Rick

Dirtypirate, if you are in Prospecting Mode at max 20 Iron Mask(IM) and still picking up iron. Then the iron pieces are too big of a surface area facing the coil to mask out. You see IM will only blank out on very small pieces of iron, not bigger pieces.

I wish in Prospecting Mode the TID numbers did show up on the X-Terra 70(5) then that would help a lot. Like the TID numbers show up on the T2/F75, Garrett AT Gold, and maybe on the MXT while prospecting.

If the area you are in has too much junk-trash then hunt(prospect for gold) in Coin & Treasure Mode instead. You will lose a little depth and senstivity but be able to see your TID numbers then to make it more tolerable.

You have the elliptical 6x10 HF DD now which gets the best depth on nuggets smaller than about 1 gram. Also you could get the round 10.5" HF DD and/or round CoilTek WOT 15" MF DD for prospecting for gold, then you will get much more depth on coin sized pieces of gold but lose depth on nuggets smaller than about 1 gram.

Also if you are working with a VLF machine in an area that has way too many hot rocks and/or false signals from hot high mineralized ground then you may have to get a Pulse Induction(PI) machine like the Garrett Infinium LS, Whites TDI SL/Pro with a Razorback coil, or a used second hand Minelab Pulse Induction machine like the SD 2100/2200, or GP(X) series. But the drawback is Pulse Induction machines have very poor discrimination and generally do not pick up micro grain sized gold as good as a VLF.

I did get to download and read the ebook. It was very helpful and detailed in a lot of areas.

botlmole said:
My experience is that if it beeps, check it out. I have been out 3 times now in the desert using my X-Terra 705 and have the 1st hunt found gold in the nature of a 2.4 gram nugget. A thrill I will never forget. The last 2 times out I dug a ton of iron and assorted metal targets, no gold. The signals that appear false are probably hot rocks, lots of iron in them. If you are hunting for gold and you don't find hot rocks, you are in the wrong area. Just like digging flip tops, you will dig a lot of them before the gold ring sounds off. I have learned that if I get a signal on the first pass, I will sweep again from a different direction, usually or most of the time the signal will fade or breakup, it won't be that solid signal, that will more than likely be the hot rock. I also drag my pick with the magnet across the area and I found lots of magnetic rocks stuck to it. Sometimes, just taking my boot and scraping the top of the dirt will break up any halo effect and give me the true signal. Takes practice, I read, then I hunt, go home and ponder, then read, then hunt, then ponder its all starting to make sense now. I have used my X-Terra about 12 or 13 times now and have had sauces. I really like it, its a great machine and I have much to learn still. Rick

Rick, excellent comment. Thank you!

The post by David says it all. Use a DD coil to handle the hot ground better than a concentric, and hunt in Coin mode and All Metal. You'll get the TID numbers and not lose much in depth or sensitivity. The very small gold will have lower numbers and often jump around a lot, then as the gold gets up towards about 2 gram the numbers will often rise and stabilise. Works for me. Good advise, David.
Wal