Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

6T vs. M6 Help

MagicMatt

6T vs. M6

Considering buying on of these whites machines come spring was wondering the better of the two.
The 6T runs at 8 khz and the M6 runs on 14khz, does it make a difference?
The options on coils are 9.5 spider or the 950 deep scan , which one is better?
Any help would be appreaciated, I would like to get the better of the two for the money.

Thanks MagicMatt

The 6t is a good detector. You will need the 4x6 shooter coil. With the stock coil and this coil you can search pretty much anywhere. Some will say with the higher frequency of the m6 will find gold better. Problem is you have to be where the gold is. The m6 holds an advantage with the ability to share coils with the MXT, V3, and DFX. If you ever want to upgrade or buy another detector this is a big advantage. As far as performance, I would say it is a toss up. Both great detectors. The 6t is leaps and bounds above the rest of the Prizm line.

The beach mode on the 6T is supposed to be superior on salt water beaches and the 6T has a back lit display which is nice if you hunt into the evening as I often do. The 6T is lighter if that matters. However, both machines will do the job so you can't go too wrong with either choice. My two bits.
BB

Bought my 6t a week ago and its seems everything that can go wrong with a detector has happened to mine, used it for 5 hours and 2 coins in two grids, took out my Prizm 4 over the same spot and 12 coins???

Mate found a ring, prizm 4 indicated a pull tab as did his Ace 250 and the 6t indicated a horseshoe!!!
Could not pick up foil and no sound for a buried 10c coin as his Ace screamed over it???
Something is terribly wrong.

Ran the 6t in all metal, sens at 6 on dry beach sand, multi-tone, new batteries, cable plug in tight and no was not in beach mode.....any ideas????

Australia.

That doesn't sound like a Whites detector
I don't have that model but have three other Whites detector and all great machines.:whites:
I'd take that one back to the place you bought it and get it checked or upgrade to the M 6.

Sounds like you may have gotten the nightmare machine that no manufacturer wants to make it out to the consumer. Doesn't sound anything like the reports I've seen on the 6T. Whites will take care of it I'm sure.
HH
BB

I can not tell you anything about the 6t , however after using the m6 for two years now I can tell you it is a great machine. I am very pleased with the m6. I have made some great finds with it.I use a 6x10 dd coil and love it. You can't go wrong with any whites machine. Good luck hunting.

I'll go back tomorrow where I bought it, hope all gets sorted out.
It has all the makings of a very promising detector and the back light is very clear at night.

they are two very different detectors are are perhaps suited for two different classes of hobbyists. By that, I mean the Prizm 6T, like the rest of the Prizm series, is really going to 'fit' the beginner or part-time hobbyist Okay. Easy to use, and their notch-based discrimination will appeal to many who are simply 'casual hunter" who don't get out that often and want to mainly seek out coins from typical urban sites.

Yes, the M6 is also an easy-to-use model, but there are some pronounced differences in field performance that, in my opinion tend to make it a detector better suited for the avid detectorist., One who wants to get a bit more serious and learn and master what detecting is all about in a variety of applications.

MagicMatt said:
6T vs. M6

Considering buying on of these whites machines come spring was wondering the better of the two.
Let me first suggest this. If you have never used a metal detector, spend the time between now and then visiting local dealers or check out a local club. Try to get some "hands-on" help and form you own opinions about what you are looking for. You didn't mention what type of detecting you had in mind, but if you do have some detecting experience, consider what you have/have used, and what features and functions you are looking for. Then see if either of these models offer what you want and need. Other than than, it will only be other's opinions that guide your purchase and not your own.

MagicMatt said:
The 6T runs at 8 khz and the M6 runs on 14khz, does it make a difference?
Very little, actually, as I have found good targets of various metal alloy/composition with a lot of models that operate lower and higher than these two. frequency is sometimes over-stated in importance because it is more that the detector can do than just the frequency it operates at.

For example, many will subscribe to the belief that higher-frequency models are hotter on gold. Generally, this is correct when you are looking for small gold nuggets in typical nugget0hunting conditions. But I also seek out gold jewlery and average 12 gold rings per years just from school and park playgrounds along with other gold jewelry. Most of that, over the past12+ years has come when using a White's Classic model which operates at 6.59 kHz, or my XLT are the same frequency.

Conversely, you will often read that the lower-frequency models are tops for the higher-conductive targets and better or "silver shooting." Is there some merit to that statement? Yes, in theory, but not always in applications. Most of my silver coins this past couple of years have come my way when using my MXT or an M6 (same basic detector), and they are in the upper-end of the hobby-based detector frequency range.

MagicMatt said:
The options on coils are 9.5 spider or the 950 deep scan, which one is better?
I like the size and 'feel' of the 9" spider coil over the newer 'saucer-shaped" 950 coils, but really they are very similar in performance. The spider-type 9" isn't available for the M6/MXT/V3 group of detectors, but you can get a 950 for the Prizm 6T if you don't like the 9" spider design. I am sure someone would be happy to trade with you. :)

These aren't really "options' but are the standard issue coils. the 9" Spider on the Prizm 6T and Eclipse 950 on the M6. Optional coils include the Prizm "Shooter" elliptical Double-D (Wide-Scan), 8" Concentric. 950 concentric for the Prizm 6T, and the Eclipse "Shooter" D-D, 5.3 Eclipse (6

Nightstalker

"Bought my 6t a week ago and its seems everything that can go wrong with a detector has happened to mine,
used it for 5 hours and 2 coins in two grids, took out my Prizm 4 over the same spot and 12 coins???"

I'm really sorry to hear that. It's very unusual that one gets a bad machine from Whites. Hope you get it sorted out.
Heck, maybe you can trade it for an MXT, but I hear things are more expensive down where you are.

Good Luck
Katz