Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

5900 Di Pro SL-6000 XL Pro Question

candycane

Performance wise,the only difference between the two would be,one has GB and the other has Auto-Trak.Is this correct and XL stands for what??? Some 5900 have CB printed on the inside of the battery door and others do not. Why is this???

The 5900 is a manual ground balance where as the 6000 is electronic ground balance with auto trac or lock provision. The XL Pro was the latest and last 6000 model and was lighter in weight and some new electronics. They both use the same coils. Kelley (Texas) :)

[size=large]In mid-April of '85 White's introduced their first auto-tracking model, the 6000 Di Pro. Shortly after the dropper their manual ground balance model, the 6000 Di Series 3. and that brought a lot of requests from detectorists to bring it back. White's did, but by simply renaming it the 5900 Di Pro. The 5900 Di was Manually Ground Balanced and the 6000 DI Pro featured AutoTrac.

I preferred the 5900 Di Pro because they didn't have the AutoTrac working quite right on their first release. Besides, I prefer to be in control of that function. These two models progressed through some variations, such as the Di Pro Plus and into the DI Pro SL versions in the black housings. Most of the effort was directed at perfecting their top-end analog model the 6000 Di Pro SL and it was sometimes reflected in some letter reference on the shipping box or inside the battery door, such as 'XB' and finally, the 'CB' revision, which was the last one. The CB stands for Composite Board, and eventually the 5900 Di Pro SL incorporated this same CB board revision and had all the same performance as the 6000 Di Pro SL with the only difference being the method of Ground Balance.

The Eagle, the Eagle II, then Eagle Spectrum were top-of-the-line models using the same bigger control housing and the 4-C cell battery system, and then in the spring of '94 White's introduced the Spectrum XLT. The XLT used a smaller-size housing, was lighter and better balanced, and was powered by the drop-in 8-AA battery tray (or rechargeable).

The Classic series evolved into this same control housing size and many avid hobbyists had wished form the smaller package for their analog 5900/6000 class models. Unfortunately, White's failed to deliver to us a manually GB'ed model in the compact housing, but their engineers went to work and made a new model with the goal to match or better the performance of the 6000 Di Pro SL in a model that would fit into the smaller housing of the XLT and Classic series. They met that goal with the introduction of the 6000 Pro XL.

Note that they dropped the 'Di' , and went to the XL suffix in the name. This model only carried over about 15 to 17 parts from the former analog unit, the 6000 Di Pro SL, and was basically engineered from the ground up, They eliminated the useless Volume control (Target Volume) and peaked it internally at a point just slightly more than the former analog offering. They also enhanced the operating power or sensitivity a little.

About 8

I've owned them all and agree with Monty, The finest detectors ever made in my opinion. To bad the detector companies are putting all their eggs in one basket with the high frequency high gain models. Not that there is anything wrong with this concept except they don't do so well in bad ground. This is the reason the DD coils have become so popular lately. They help somewhat in making these new high freq., high gain detectors run a bit more stable in not so kind ground. I made a recent comment that this may have been a great marketing move as the the different detector manufacturers are selling the DD coils like hot cakes.

Just had to ask! Is the 5900di Pro Sl actually a deeper machine then the 6000 di Pro Sl ? I have owned a 5900 and a Blue & Gray and they are great machines. My son still hunts with my Blue and Gray and I sold the 5900 years ago. Wanted a bad ground machine and got a good deal. I usually dont like any auto ground balance but like I said I could not pass it up? If there is a difference is it the user or is there really that much advantage to the manual balance capabilities of the 5900?

John

I still have my 6000 DI/Pro SL, it's a GREAT machine. It works great, and although I recently bought a V3 I am sure the 6000 will come with me on any hunt for either the wife, or kids to use. It has never failed me, has been a consistent performer, and a great nickel/silver hunter. (and it's found it's share of rings as well)

Monte
You failed to mention the White's Liberty Di, which has gound tracking or lock and target ID in a nice light ergonomic machine.
pic151002.jpg

pic151003.jpg

Hello all -

I stumbled across this fine forum while doing some research on some older White's models, specifically the 5900 Di PRO SL and the 6000 Di PRO SL and I wanted to pose a question to the board. Before I ask, I noted Monte's thorough knowledge of the older models I'm interested in and his description of their revisions and I dropped him an email but have yet to hear back. Not to seem impatient (I'm running out of time and trying to gather as much feedback as possible), I pull on the board's members for some much needed advice.

As Monte mentions in his post above, the last runs of the 5900s and 6000s have the CB nomenclature printed on the battery door, however, I've located a 5900 that has DH printed on the battery door. Might anyone know what this coding might mean and would this be a detector worth pursuing?

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Best,

Ben