Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

5.75 or small coil question

findit

how does a smaller coil work different than a larger? i know that it doesn't see as much ground and it is more concentrated, but i read it is more sensitive to smaller objects. how does that work? will it find for example small gold necklaces easier and will it still pick up the larger objects as well as the bigger coil?

From my understanding, the small coil's flux lines from the electric field are closer together which will allow it to better detect smaller objects.
A larger coil's flux lines are spaced apart more which could cause it to overlook very small targets.
Hope this helps some.

Good explaination...

Markg explanation on the flux - I'll buy that.
It seems as a general rule of thumb that larger coils go deeper and for bigger items, smaller coils more shallow and for smaller items. There seems to be a trend going on now that some of the smaller coils are getting more depth than the same size coil did in years past. On some of my machines, I am impressed at the depth some of small coils are getting.
Years ago I used to look at coils as, "okay, I'll get this 4 inch coil and use it for down to 4 inches and closer to metal objects and in trashy areas - and I'll get this 10 inch coil for working cleaner ground on targets down to 10 inches:.
This is not always the case anymore, as some small coils are going deeper in inches than the width of the coil, and do a good job at it. I still use smaller coils for the trashy places and larger coils for cleaner grounds and depth.
And also the variety of non-concentric coils giving a user even more to choose from.
It's nice to have a variety of coils available for different situations and personal preference.
Maybe it's the flux lines/pattern, coil design, and more powerful machines - I dunno
Now the machines with different frequencies. High frequency (like some gold machines for smaller, lower conductive targets, shallower), and lower frequency, larger targets, higher conductive properties, deeper.
I don't know where it all ends and/or how it works, just glad I have a variety of machines and coils to work with. Confused - as usual:stars:

Maybe a coin size target - but the depth in inches (8"), exceed the 5.75 coil width, and sensitivity running "4".
It's not easy to hit a target in ground, hurry and set down the machine, hurry and pickup the camera and get a shot before the display changes - not for me anyway.
I'll be swinging the Cortes and another machine or two tomorrow, might see about small targets for comparisons.
Cortes w/5.75 coil
[attachment 68722 P9210001.JPG]

Cortes display
[attachment 68723 P9210005.JPG]

that's very impressive tab for a coil that size to go that deep i will be interested in seeing your results. so it seems your right maybe it's the technology of the newer coils or the machine, would be interesting to hear from others if they experienced the smaller coils going deeper then the width of it. that was always my philosophy on it also, 6" coil 6" deep 10"coil 10" deep. anybody else notice the difference?

That #4; is the magic number when it comes to the sensitivity dial it's........ "4"!! Use the standard coil or the smaller coils and this detector performs like a champ at sensitivity "4" and disc halfway between " min" and "iron". Go higher on the sens dial, and the disc is not as clean and audio, not as pronounced, yet no great increase in depth! Try it for a few hunts and then give us the results...take the Ivan challenge!!! As in tab-nabit's post great results with this #4 setting!!

smaller coils make it easier to search around areas like stone walls.......you can get closer to metal fences.. I'm sure some one has already said you can get between junk....... Larger coils can null out a good target if its next to junk.

I tried one once with my explorer II, but I found the area still had too much junk.....you can't cover much ground at all with a small coil........I might have kept my compadre if it had a larger coil. I haven't yet found a serious use for one, but I'm going to hold on to my current 5" coil just in case. There is one place I know I can put it to use.

If I didn;t get one with my Cortes I would not buy one..........I think about selling it daily.........I'm guessing alot of people think I'm crazy for this, but that's how I feel about it

tried my10 inches you might not believe me, i know i still can't believe it. could be just my soil conditions, just the right settings, was running it super tuned though. i don't know but what ever it is i am still trying to comprehend how it could go almost twice as deep as the diameter. i will have to try it on the "4" sensitivity and see what happens, but i did notice as soon as i backed down on the sensitivity a little i was losing targets as with the stock one. looks like I will be keeping my 5.75 on always:biggrin:, unless i plan on hunting a big open field otherwise i will sweep the extra times. still curious if it is going to pick up small necklaces easier what do you think?y and then it started to rain, but i still am so excited at the results i couldn't believe that it detected the all the dimes just as good if not better than the stock. now i have 5.75 on the vaquero in my dime test garden todasome dimes between 8 and

I'm hoping to post yesterday finds soon. I'm getting ready to go out here as soon as the son gets ready, and a rain storm is on it's way :thumbdown:
I been using the Cortes mostly in the All Metal mode and using the ears. I need to get into trying the sum mode which was the main reason I bought the Cortes. I'll run the 5.75 coil again due to the area I plan on hitting.
Hope to see other Cortes inputs here later today - looks like the son is about ready - HH all...

no i was not drunk when i posted the above for some reason when i added some words it scrambled everything around. it's not just detectors i am trying to figure out it is also computers:laugh:

meant to say i tried the 5.75 on my vaquero in my dime test garden performed just as well as stock even saw dimes at 8-10 inches wouldn't believe it if i had not seen it. could just have been all the right conditions but it still puzzles me how it can see almost twice it's diameter. like i said you might not believe me but i am sold. will keep it on my vaquero :biggrin:.

I been impressed with the 5.75 coil.
Used the Cortes and Cibola today and last few days and been doing better than we have for a good while - been trying a new spot that we like.