Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

4.5"X7", 5", 6", or 8" coil, what do YOU suggest?

Banzai

Ok pro's... I just received my SE yesterday and was told I should get another coil... I'm not going to say which was referred so I can read your suggestions and reasons why. I'll be hunting mostly in Ohio (GO BUCKS!!) :super: I'm looking to hunt mostly coins & jewelry. I may do some relic hunting also. (Not really sure how to differentiate the hunts... guess it's WHERE I hunt.) Thanks for your help!! HH :cheers:

My opinion is the 8(7.5 if the ML)....just cause it is an all around coil....anything smaller than that and it is a specialty coil for Hi trash areas...the 8 still gets good depth and still has a good seperation....I think you would use it more than a smaller coil...my 7.5 is on more than any coil I have...

I like the 4.5X7" as i feel it does the job of all the other small coils in one coil. But it would be nice to have all of them!

Thanks mattockman & Frank... also, how big of a difference could it be if I did get the 8" and I already have the 10 or 10.5" (whatever size came with the SE). It would seem to be almost the same. HH

You wouldnt think that there would be much of a difference between the stock coil and the 8", but there defenatly is imo. The stock gets mabye and inch or two more of depth, but when you go into heavily trashy areas its difficult to get under it all, with the 8" though theres still good target seperation and it allows you to get down under the trash while still getting good depth. I use my 8" coil most of the time and i love it.

HH Tristan

The Sun Ray coils will again be available in about two weeks. You'll want an X-8

I bought a 6" Excellerator when I bought my SE and it was a mistake, I should have waited for an X-8. I have a 5.75 on my Tejon and it's fine there but i'd really rather have an 8" on the SE... and I will in a few weeks.

Julien

All I can say is it is a big diff. and you need to buy it and see for yourself......this is just my opinion and I am sticking to it, with all I have to offer!!!!!! I am no way associated with any company, just my over wellmning fever for metaldetecting.....an my own experience. I don't have what Bob has so I cannot relate to that 4.5X7" coil so all I can do is say what I have used....and my 7.5 ML coil is on most of the time, barring cleaner sites and lots of acerage to cover inwhich the 15" wot or 12" sunray gets put on......etc etc.......My stock coil 10.5 I never liked except I did notice it was good at seeing thru junk but could not pinpoint very good with it.....and also it is not water proof......Minelab Explorer XS.

I use this Coil a lot, and have been doing phenomenally with it the last Month and a Half or so. It is Light Weight and easy to swing. I also have the Minelab 7.5" Coil also that does a good job. But I did see something a few weeks ago that kind of shocked me between the Minelab 7.5" and the 5"X10" Joey Coil. I did a side by side comparison at the Fairgrounds that I have been pounding and got a good Signal with my Joey Coil that read 28 on Digital, and was about 6-7" Deep. I then went and put on the Minelab 7.5" Coil and went over the same Target. What I heard was a Weaker Signal and the ID wasn't as consistent as the Joey Coils. I really had to play around with the Minelab Coil to even get a good enough Signal to even tell me that there was a Good Target there. I then put the Joey Coil on and the Signal Greatly Improved along with a Consistent ID. This area is Very Trashy with a lot of Rusty Bottle Caps, Nails, Screw Caps, Pull Tabs, and Etc. I thought the Minelab would have got the Target just as good but was shown otherwise during this test. Don't get me wrong! I have used the Minelab Coil also and have dug Deep Coins in Trash with it before but at this site, it didn't perform up to par like the Joey Coil. Just another Coil for you to ponder about in your decision on another Coil. But for me, it's the Joey Coil all the way until I find a Coil that can match it in Performance and Depth. Good Luck with your decision in a Coil and HH when you get which ever Coil you decide to get.:thumbup:

They like the Minelab 7.5 coil. The 7.5 is a good all round size and coil for either coions, jewelry or relics. It has great separation in trash, retains good depth and, of course, it is much lighter than the stock coil. Once you put it on, you may not take it off. Also, keep in mind that it is probably easier to learn the SE with a smaller coil because it does not see as much ground as the stock coil.

Thanks James ND & DonD. I have to look into that Joey Coil, I think the size of it may be a little better than the 4.5x7". That's the first I've heard of it. Has ne1 else ever done a side-by-side comparison like that on other coils and how did they compare? I'm ready to buy another coil and am considering one of the oval shaped ones like the 4.5x7 or the 5x10 (now). Thanks again for everyones input, and HH!! :detecting:

These are the first 2 things I found with my new minelab explorer XS.......I went out to hunt an old park and it was late fall 2003 and I had on the 8 inch,(7.5) minelab coil....water was low and I found an awsome old 2 reale at 9 inches and then after that I found 10 feet from that I got another great silver signal............after digging 17 inches from tip of fingers to crook of arm a tiny silver ring.................so what about those depths............I swear on my mothers life it was 17 inches deep...............:cheers:

you say the water was low??? did the hole keep filling up as you dug deeper?? so were you hunting with the coil IN water? also, I thought the stock coil is waterproof... am I wrong? how about those oval coils, are they both waterproof? I do want one that I can stick into some shallow water when the time comes. Those are some nice finds mattockman... thanks for your reply.

The pond was low due to lack of rain....so where I found them was no water at the time....but is usually under water under normal conditions....the soil was damp and mainly was sand not muddy dirt....I couldn't beleive it was still in the ground....I just dug and take out loose sand and dug and take out loose sand and rescan and it was still there in ground...I was so amazed how deep it was I figured it was going to be a fairly big silver coin but it turned out to be this tiny silver ring...the coil is waterproof, I use it alot in shallow water...the stock 10.5 XS coil is not....it says it is but mine did not act good after being in the water and I have been told by someone they had the same problem after water hunting....I cannot say anything about the Ex.II or the SE stock coil, I have never owned one. The oval coils I never owned one either...the Minelab 7.5 coil is just a good all around coil and is wtaerproof, I rarely take it off but I feel every diff. size coil has its purpose....but the 7.5 is a good med. size that works well in trash and still gets decent depth...I think that sand at pond was just exceptionally good ground and if it was up in the pines and regular dirt I doubt I would have even heard it....but it does well and I like it,