Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

4-12-08 CW Finds- New Site Day 2

VOL1266X

I talked Dman out of attending an antique auction today to hunt CW relics. It did not take much effort. Together, we got 21 items out of the Thursday new site in 2 hours. It was apparent that this site was not a camp but a patrol site near water since we found no brass except for the Hotchkiss fuse. We went to plan B.. Last night, I received permission to hunt the adjoining farm that looked interesting. We crossed the gate and about halfway up the steep hill, I found a fired .58 3 ringer. Note the bullets with a gray patina in the pic came from the side of a steep hill. When Dman found a fired .58 near the top. we knew we were onto something. We went to the hill top and hunted 2 hours and found 8 bullets total . At age 58 for me and age 54 for Dman, those hills seem steeper than they used to so we went to eat and plan to return next week. This farm had .58s, Merill Carbines, and Type 3 Williams Cleaners. Dman found a dropped Williams Cleaner that looked perfect. He had the non-CW find of the day with an old Cub Scout pocketknife with insignia. Since Thursday, we have hunted 9 hours total and recovered 56 CW relics. That's good for us. The bullet in the middle row on the right side in my pic is carved into a cone shape. There are 2 pieces of cannister lead on the bottom row if you have notr seen any. Happy Hunting from Middle Tennessee!!!

that's a nice group of bullets there 1266x. i never tire of seeing them. wtg, and good luck at your new spot, there's probably more relics out there.hh,

Hey GG, the lack of campfire lead in the Thursday site was evidence that there was not a camp there. the Hotchkiss fuse is a mystery. There was a large US artillery site nearby. good luck hunting VA!!!!

I find it interesting how people fail to mention how much work, time, and patience goes into finding new, viable sites to hunt. The newbies that read the forum probably get the idea that all they have to do is buy a metal detector and go out and presto they find valuable relics. Nobody mentions how many times you go out and get skunked or find a lot of junk. I'm not trying to be a downer, but the newbies that read these messages need to understand how much relic hunting can be like fishing, with its good days, ok days, and bad days. I've been working an 1800s homesite for the last month or so that seemed to be in a perfect location, with 7,000 plus soldiers stationed nearby, major Civil War action real close by, high ground with a stream nearby and nada, not a single CW relic. But, I'm not deterred. I'll choose a new location, get permission and the search goes on.