Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

3rd time out with my XS....

jason_in_utah

Well, I have been reading the posts and rereading the posts and have to say you are all a big help to the new explorer user. Everytime I wanted to post a question I would search the forum first and it had already been asked! I have the Andy Sabisch book also and it was helpful to get a very advanced basic understanding. But the real help came from this winter actually, having put about 20 hours of airtest time on my machine because of all of the snow. I would read the posts then try different settings taking mental note of how they responded , affecting the tone , depth response etc. Today was my 3rd time out, they are tearing down an old house and I got permission to hunt it.

Minelab 8 in coil. I was running
manual sens. 14 (I could only get it to calm down at 14,,after noise cancel, anything higher and it would go crazy)(I tried several times)

nails rejected

gain 7

ferrous sounds

and DIGITAL screen

I love digital with ferrous after much experimentation( for a newb) because if it sounds like ferrous it probably is where as if it reads high digital and sounds high so far it has been good. This was an old forum suggestion from 2000 or 2001. Well thanks again for all the great help... so fellow new explorer owners we are in the right place.

wheats 1910-s, 1955, 1937-d, 1916-d

1880 Indian
[attachment 50241 1880002.jpg]

The Indian was from 8 inches, repeatable only one way, but really nice that one way. . At first I dug a nail and thought well, ok. Then I rescanned the hole and the signal was still there...and there it is. I know I am leaving good targets behind it just takes time to tune your ear. I didn't believe it till now. I just thought everyone was exaggerating. But its true. The first two times out I wanted to run my XS over now I am barely beginning to get it and I love it. My biggest tip to fellow newbs would be to yank that 10.5 inch coil off and put an 8 or 5 on till you learn the tones. 10.5 is just too much scan coverage to contend with in my opinion. Especially if the ground is loaded with targets.
Hopefully more posts of finds to come!

Jason

I use the Sun Ray Stealth 8" coil alot but I started out with the large (standard) coil. For a few years I would only use the std. coil to get that extra depth. Come to think of it, those were some of my most productive years. Hmmmm. At any rate, I just wanted to mention that what you learn on is what you get use to. The standard coil is large but it will pick the goodies out of junk much better than a concentric coil of the same size. You will have to go slower but that is not always a bad thing. I never went through the "mad at the machine" part of the learning curve. Maybe because I had operated an Excalibur for a year previous to getting the Explorer.

Do try that big coil for a few trips out... you will be pleasantly surprised.

HH - BF

I have hunted most places around SLC and the ground has given up many nice coins, there is still more to get. Used the XS for many years and love it. It is the best detector out there by far.

You will find more goodies and hope you share your pics! The Explorer is an amazing machine new or old models! You will be hooked on it. Nice Find.