Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

30 Minutes With The Equinox and 6" Coil Thoughts

Richard@BackwoodsDetectors

Findmall Sponsor
I got in 2 of them and sent Beyonder's out immediately BUT I kept one to play around with till the next morning when I would ship it.
First, I like Minelab new way of boxing the detector, very innovative. Secondly, I noticed was the build quality and I thought that it
was excellent. The weight was good, not heavy at all and easy to swing. Charged the battery for about an hour and powered up.
The menu was fairly easy but would take me to the manual 3 or 4 times within an hour to navigate where I wanted to go.
First thing that I noticed was that the ID numbers are low, I think that 40 is max. The processor is much faster than previous MLs
and separation was good on the ferrous-non-ferrous targets that I tried. I like the 11" coil and I know the Equinox will do good but
the Equinox is really going to shine when you put the 6" coil on it. With the ability to set the break point, recovery point and iron bias,
this detector will even be better then. I expect a lot of folks to post about what they dug out of the iron with that coil. Best to all and
hoping I can get an Equinox myself soon.. HH Richard

Great review im loving mine got my first gold ring today with it, i will definitely be getting 6" when they come out :)

I am really pondering if the 6 or 15 should be the second line of offense. Gotta get the 11 first...

Do not take this as disrespect as I don’t know how things normally work,maybe you had permission from the buyer to do so but...is it normal practice to take a machine out of the box,fire it up,play with it and then re-package it for sale?

I like the 6 as its great for nugget shooting as well as getting close to fence, park equipment, etc so far I am satisfied with depth on the 11
pasttom said:
I am really pondering if the 6 or 15 should be the second line of offense. Gotta get the 11 first...

IDXMonster said:
Do not take this as disrespect as I don’t know how things normally work,maybe you had permission from the buyer to do so but...is it normal practice to take a machine out of the box,fire it up,play with it and then re-package it for sale?

As lord of these Detectors I shall bless this marriage by taking the bride into my test bed on the first night of her union.

Braveheart quote modified.....

Cliff

On a side note Richard, any news on availability of the accessories yet?

Cliff

nagov said:

As lord of these Detectors I shall bless this marriage by taking the bride into my test bed on the first night of her union.

Braveheart quote modified.....

Cliff

:lol: I very well may have done the same! I’m sure Richard knows what he’s doing...the more testing out there by knowledgeable people,the better informed we can be!

IDXMonster said:

I would rather have one with a few hrs on it. Electronics has an infant mortality rate. Highest is when brand new.
After a few on/off cycles it plummets to near zero for quite a few yrs. With time it slowly rises again but not as high.
I always, when I could, would unbox a new TV & test & adj it. Nothing worse than a customer bringing it home in
the box & have it brew up !
Display models are different. You try to cycle them through every 90 days so you dont have to pay interest or pay them
off. We knew they ran fine but gave something off after they checked the cosmetics.

HH
Tom
LFOD !

I hope all dealer's try new machine out before they send them to the person who is purchasing it. I hate to get a machine from a dealer and it doesn't work. The cost to send it back to the company today is so very high. I would be very mad to get a new detector that doesn't work.

Yea I have one ordered threw Richard. Richard feel free to play with mine if you want when it comes in. This is a stand up guy not a novice dealer

If all are like the on I got to see opened yesterday...when it was turned on to see if it worked [size=x-large][BF][/size] showed up on the display and the detector turned itself [size=large]OFF[/size]. BF is the code for battery failure (fatigued).

There was not enough charge on the battery to even do a simple 1 minute test. And NO charger in the box to put a quick charge on the battery.

Friday is the next day I get to see one in action especially the gold necklace test in salt water (or at least on the ground). Comfort, ease of assembly, and esthetics are nice. In the few minutes of swinging the detector it felt a bit heavy on the coil end , maybe an adjustment of the armrest (of which there are 4 positions) will shit the gravity's affect.

The electrical charging contacts still make me worry a bit. I WILL clean them with fresh water and dry the off after leaving the salt water for sure.

Can't wait for waterproof headphones...the waterproof Minelab adapter so I could splice a pair of headphone inline with a waterproof connection. An Adapter to go from the GG Amphibians AT(series) connector to the Equinox audio connector would be great.

So many thoughts...

Yeah,not a bad idea to test before shipping come to think of it. Kinda like firing up the chainsaw at the dealer to make sure it’s correct before you’re 2 miles in the woods...
Everyone seems to like them so far,I can’t wait for the deep silver tests to commence! Even though that’s not what I really want it for. This would be a “gold machine” for me...

Interesting, WW.

Mine had a decent charge on it right out of the box -- machine and headphones both. It had 3 hours worth of "charge" available before it "BF'd" on me, LOL! (Battery drained).

I grabbed my Samsung Galaxy Tab "wall wart," rated 2.0A/5.3V -- one of the exact "wall warts" recommended by Minelab in the literature that came in the box with the unit -- and charged it right up.

For me, it felt well balanced and light-as-a-feather, though I will say that I do hunt with the coil rather "close to my feet," instead of "way out in front of me" -- that's a trick that us Explorer/E-Trac/CTX swingers have learned, to make a machine balance better/feel lighter.

IDX -- I hear you, on your concern about a dealer running a detector for a bit. I get it. But, one thing I will say in Richard's defense, I bought a Gold Bug Pro from him years back, that he fully disclosed that he had run for a couple of hours, and he offered a bit of "compensation" for that fact, as well, when he sold it to me. Don't worry about Richard...great/honest guy! :thumbup:

Steve

WaterWalker said:
If all are like the on I got to see opened yesterday...when it was turned on to see if it worked showed up on the display and the detector turned itself OFF. BF is the code for battery failure (fatigued).

There was not enough charge on the battery to even do a simple 1 minute test. And NO charger in the box to put a quick charge on the battery.

Friday is the next day I get to see one in action especially the gold necklace test in salt water (or at least on the ground). Comfort, ease of assembly, and esthetics are nice. In the few minutes of swinging the detector it felt a bit heavy on the coil end , maybe an adjustment of the armrest (of which there are 4 positions) will @#$%& the gravity's affect.

The electrical charging contacts still make me worry a bit. I WILL clean them with fresh water and dry the off after leaving the salt water for sure.

Can't wait for waterproof headphones...the waterproof Minelab adapter so I could splice a pair of headphone inline with a waterproof connection. An Adapter to go from the GG Amphibians AT(series) connector to the Equinox audio connector would be great.

So many thoughts...

I was curious for a different reason Steve,my CTX showed up looking like it had been run. I didn’t know if it’s standard to test them first.
You got an Equinox?

I'm thinking after rinsing the contacts off with fresh water a wipe with 90% electronics grace alcohol wouldn't hurt. Easy stuff to pack too.

One of my other hobbies is shooting pellet rifles. We have a large dealer that actually offers a service for $10 USD to open, inspect and shoot the gun you order, and provide the target they shoot. All of their technicians are also shooting enthusiasts with many years of experience with all of the guns they sell.

I would be pleased to know that my MD dealer has opened and tested the machine he/she was sending to me. Better for the dealer to find any problems rather than the customer. He can make sure that the detector going out the door is 100% when it leaves his facility.

JMHO. YMMV