Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

3 barbers in same hole

metalmiester

Hi all I have not posted for along time on here. I got out in the lake by my dad's this morning. I have pounded this for 30 yrs. I started when I was 12. The area I hit is where I found an 1866 seated half as a kid. Long story short I pulled 3 1900 barber quarters and a 1904 v nickle with nail in the same hole. What a rush. They are in great condition. I did some electralisis on them. I will post some pic's later today. I got swimmers itch cause of all they rain but I am going back for round 2 after lunch. Scott

I have not replyd here in about 3 years. The 3 barber quarters I found in the same hole in the lake with my excalubar 1000 with an 1904 v nickle. I used electalisist mif my spelling is corect to take off the sulfur slag. One of them I used baking soada and tooth paste to polish as pictured in my oringinal post. I have cleaned them all since then with the same methode. Last 2 days I got an 1890 nickle and a 1934 merc that I let dry and rubbed untill the shlagg rubbed off. I look at the merc and I see less pitting so what I am asking is I need help! Which is better or what is correct or lesser of 2 maybe 10 evils. lol Scott

metalmiester said:
I have not replyd here in about 3 years. The 3 barber quarters I found in the same hole in the lake with my excalubar 1000 with an 1904 v nickle. I used electalisist mif my spelling is corect to take off the sulfur slag. One of them I used baking soada and tooth paste to polish as pictured in my oringinal post. I have cleaned them all since then with the same methode. Last 2 days I got an 1890 nickle and a 1934 merc that I let dry and rubbed untill the shlagg rubbed off. I look at the merc and I see less pitting so what I am asking is I need help! Which is better or what is correct or lesser of 2 maybe 10 evils. lol Scott
Scott, try this to clean your silver next time.

Take a small pan of water and heat it up to boiling. Add a teaspoon of salt and two tablespoons of baking soda to the water. Take a piece of tin foil, enough to make a small sling, and place the silver coin in the sling. Drop it into the boiling water / salt / baking soda and let it boil for about 4 minutes.

The sulfur will be attracted to the tin foil and the silver coin will come out looking almost like the day it was minted. You will not have to rub it with toothpaste or polish it up at all. If you use toothpaste, you will put micro scratches on the coin and the value will drop dramatically. The method I described was told to me by a professional coin restorer and he told me that it will not devalue the coin at all.

Nice finds by the way.