Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

2nd Hunt X-Terra 705

botlmole

Well, spent around 6 hours detecting earlier in the week with the 705, for the most part I was Happy with it, did get some electrical interference this time, turned down the sensitivity and that kinda helped. I was having some issues pin pointing targets, good thing I was at the beach, I could dig craters there. Found 1 piece of costume jewelry, around $4.00 in change and 2 wheat pennies and a worn out Mercury dime. I have used this detector 2 times now at the beach with silver coin both times, I am getting spoiled. Come on big storms. I find that sometimes when I locate an item, the pin point mode has a wide band or loud solid signal, I have to back off and return to detect mode and then do it again, it was very noisy. Any Help on pin pointing would be great. I was using the DD elliptical coil.

Today I just got from my 3rd outing with the X-Terra 705, elliptical coil, hunting beach conditions near waters edge, very noisy on 1 beach and not so bad on another, I was out for 6 hours today, I found a lot of change, no jewelry. I also seemed to be picking up a lot of foil today, deep foil and lead sinkers, a little rusted deep iron (Nails). I am going out again in the am to some grass I saw at a closed down business and see what happens, will be using the concentric coil this time. I keep reading the manual and the digger book, I am a little confused on the discrimination bars and tones, they don't jive. This was my 3rd outing so I have a lot to learn I am afraid. More later.

I had also problem to pinpoint in the begging,and especially with my brothers elliptical coil. If i have problem to pinpoint accurately,I just lift it up an 5-6 inch from the ground,and for me its easy to locate the target. Hunting with the 6" is fantastic,so easy to pinpoint and really a fantastic coin shooter.
I still learning pinpointing the 15" Coiltek.Its a huuuge coil but very sensitive and light,can go on for hours...

Good luck with your pinpointing.

Mike

Tones are going to "tell you more" than TID numbers or discrimination bars as the tones are dealing with data that has not been processed to the degree as visual indicators. As to pinpointing....... make sure the coil is not over a metallic object when you switch it to Pinpoint mode. And since you have the 705, try changing from regular pinpoint to Sizing Pinpoint. To pinpoint a target while keeping the X-TERRA in the Coin/Treasure mode, try this for DD coils........... X back and forth over the target until you determine where the target is located in relation to your left and right sweeps. In other words, work the coil side to side until the loudest sound always comes from the same coil location. The target should now be under the middle of the coil. Now, continue slowly sweeping the coil back and forth (very short sweeps of only a few inches) while at the same time pulling the coil closer to your feet. Eventually the target signal will disappear. The point is, as you move the coil toward you while still Xing back and forth over the target, at the very instant the target signal goes away, the target will be located directly under the front tip of the DD coil. On a concentric coil, (and with some practice, even on a DD coil) you can accomplish the same thing by Xing over the target and making note of where the strongest "vertical" sound and strongest "horizontal" sound meet up. HH Randy

My 3rd hunt was with the 9" concentric coil, it was in dying grass with adobe, very hard adobe, the inside of my leg muscles are toast from crouching down to dig. I dug at least 35 zinc pennies, most of which were trashed from oxidation, did get around 75 cents in clad so it was fun, lots of targets, hardly any trash, did dig a watch at around 8", I thought it was a sprinkler pipe at first. I can pinpoint better with the concentric than the DD elliptical. I will try some of the techniques that were suggested next time out.

Today was my 4th hunt, I was at an old park here, hunted many times, still manage to find silver and wheat pennies every now and then. I hunted for almost 6 hours today. Trying different discrimination patterns, trying the tones (Those drive me nuts) over all I got 2 pieces of costume jewelry 1 wheat penny, and around $1.30 in new stuff, lots of Stinking Zinc Pennies, those things are so wasted, one of my friends says the next big precious metal rush will be for copper, as in pennies. I dug everything and had 2 Star buck cups full of flip tops and junk. It was fun, I have much to learn. I was hoping for a really deep coin for a test. The deepest coin I got was about 5 inches, a penny. I am going to heal up the leg muscles, was using my new knee pads, these really work well if you have bad knees like I do. I will go out again to this park again I think around Monday or Tuesday, I will use the DD Elliptical coil this time, might hit the beach on the weekend, not much happening there though. In the trashy areas I turned my sensitivity down to around 12 and slowed down this helped, I had to eliminate1 signal at a time several times, nail or tab masking a coin ect. Great Fun.