Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

2nd Coil To Compliment My 5.75 Concentric?

BeerHunter

Hey everyone! I got a Vaquero last month and the dealer let me substitute the stock coil for the 5.75 concentric. Since I mostly hunt pretty trashy areas, it will likely stay on most of the time, but I would like to get a bigger coil for the odd times I hunt places relatively trash free. I was thinking the 12x10 widescan would be a nice compliment to my 5.75 concentric. Sound like a good choice or should I consider the 3x18? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Jim

I personally think the standard 9 x 8 coil is the best over all when it isn't real trashy. I do have a 12 x 10 and recently got at 3 x 18. They both make my Cibola pretty nose heavy. Not quite so off balance with the Tejon. Both coils weigh very close to the same and balance on the detector about the same.

The 12 x 10 seems to reach a little deeper and is easier for me to keep the coil face flat to the surface when swinging. I can pinpoint more accurately with the 3 x 18, but the 12 x 10 isn't too bad either.

In my opinion, if you don't want the 9 x 8, for open trash free areas looking for targets that may be deeper like older coins and relics, I'd lean towards the 12 x 10. For wide coverage of say ball fields and big wide beaches looking for newer drops and maybe not looking to go the deepest the 3 x 18 just covers so much area.
tvr

The 9x8 on my V is awsome and covers lots of ground... I dont see going bigger unless i was going to hunt
some really big fields,and yes I have the 5.75 too which I also love..lol The 9x8 is very sensitive I've found BBs,
shotgun pellets,and earing backs with it.

just some info for you.

I bought the 5.75 thinking I would use it when hunting trashy parks(tabs, aluminum caps, can slaw, etc) and I do, but its got to be pretty extreme for me to switch from the 9x8. The 9x8 covers a good size area and because its light and balances well I can work it fairly quick for long periods. Can't think of any place I need the 3x18 except maybe the beach, even then 9x8 does a pretty good job for the 1/2 dozen times a year I hit the beach.

Well, considering you want to add to 5.75 which you expect to use most of the time, I'd go with the 10X12 concentric. Good ground coverage and considerably more depth than the 3X18. My two bits.
BB

I have a Tejon with the stock 9x8 and I hunted a site with a lot of dropped confederate Gardner bullets until the finds were few and far between. After getting the 12x10 I went back and hunted the same site and I didn't find a single bullet! The 9x8 had found them all and it is much lighter.

Regards,

VaRelics