Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

29 Years Later

dljones54

From 1988 until 1991, I was a U.S. Army journalist, serving in the Public Affairs Office, on Caserma Ederle, the U.S. Army post in Vicenza, Italy. One day, in 1990, while metal-detecting with my White's 6000 DiPro, next to the curb just outside my office building, I found a 1977 class ring from Vicenza American High School, the post's school for the children of American soldiers. It was about two to three inches deep and, after cleaning, I saw initials inside the ring. After going to the school, I found that there was only one young man, from the class of 77, with those initials. Unfortunately, no one on post knew where he and his family had moved. After my return from overseas, I put the ring in a jewelry box for safekeeping. Then, a few years ago, I found that a person with the same name as the ring's owner had died at age 45. I prayed that he wasn't the person for whom I was looking. A couple of weeks ago, I found an internet listing for another person with the same name. So, I wrote a letter, asking if he had graduated in 1977 from Vicenza American High School and if his father had once worked in the same building where my office had been located. I didn't tell him about finding a ring. I didn't want him to claim it, if it wasn't really his. I wanted to make sure I had the rightful owner. Well, today, I received a reply in the mail which gave his home phone number and e-mail address. So, I called him and found that his father had indeed worked on Caserma Ederle, but that he had left VAHS while in his junior year. I then asked him if he had ever lost anything that he considered valuable and he said that his class ring had been stolen and he had cried about it and talked about it for years afterward, even at some of the VAHS class reunions. I knew how he felt, because my own 1973 class ring had been stolen, back in 1975. Still not telling him I had the ring, I asked him to describe it. After he described the ring he had cherished with all his heart, I asked him if he wanted his ring back. He excitedly asked if I knew who had his class ring and I quickly told him how I had found it with my metal-detector. He was almost speechless! To make a long story short, we're now planning on getting together, just as soon as I can take a vacation, so I can return his most prized possession - in person. Because I live in South Arkansas and he lives near Chicago, I've got some driving time ahead, because there's no way I would risk sending it to him in the mail. I told him I wanted to put a face to the name. I also told him that I wouldn't consider any kind of reward whatsoever! He said he would like to give me something. But, I told him that the only thing I wanted from him was - if he came across somebody else, in the future, who needed a helping hand, then it was his turn to be the good Samaritan. He agreed.

I fix and give metal detectors to kids AND found a ring for a lady and gave it ti her.
CLONDIKE HELPS OTHER ON THIS SITE.
I SAW A WATER DETECTOR I HELP A GUY WITH ON THIS SITE AND IT LOOKS GOOD
BUT EVERY TIME I HEAR A STORY LIKE WHAT YOU TOLD...I WANT TO CRY WITH PRIDE.
THAT IS WHY WE ARE GOOD PEOPLE.
YOU GET 10 STARS FROM ME.

Thats a great story, the pics are very clear.
nice job on the pics and finding the owner of the ring

GOOD ON YA!!!
HH
BB

that is what makes this a cool hobby:clapping:
I had the honor of returning a class ring. What a neat feeling and experience.
:pulltab: