Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

250 question

gwn

I dont dig a lot of nickles, seems odd to me since I get most everything else....where are you guys hitting them on the scale?

They hit on the nickel segment on my soil. It will have about a 80% lock. That means if you pinpoint right over your target then sweep the coil fast over the center back and forth about 2 inches 10 times. It will bounce off of nickel 2 or 3 times. It can be fooled by beaver tails. Nickels fall in the trash area for coin shooters. Thats why it's tougher to come up with them unless you dig some trash.

My ACE 250 will hit right on the nickel scale and won't let go if it's an actual nickel. A pulltab might jump between nickel and pulltab for a second, and will usually continue to jump around as I sweep the spot a few more times. The machine always continues to give a good solid tone repeatedly for the nickel, it's actually easier to identify and pinpoint than say a target which hits near the dime scale. My ACE loves to call a screw top a dime.
I know people love to say "dig every target" because you never know when it could be a gold ring instead of a pulltab or a nickel, but you have to consider the amount of trash in the area you're searching. One dirt racetrack I searched had so much trash of every kind that for all PRACTICAL purposes it was impossible to hunt. If there's not much trash, by all means clean out the pulltabs, bottle caps, foil and garbage to simplify further searching. But I'm not going to spend a week digging nothing but garbage when my machine does a decent enough job of saving me the trouble. In very high-trash areas I personally would rather miss a few nickels than dig fifty pulltabs. As far as I'm concerned that's why there is such a thing as discrimination.

Steve

I agree with what Parkit and Khouse said inasmuch as square tabs can fool you a little and after you dig a couple hundred you might forget about digging those nickle signals. But, if you realy listen, there is a difference in the tone between nickles and square tabs. The nickles seem to have a deeper, more solid tone and the square tabs more of a higher tone. When I'm hunting, when I get a signal that locks in on a nickle, I'll say to myself, "Nickle" or "Squaretab" and then dig it up and make a mental note of what I heard. This seems to get me more nickles, maybe just because I'm playing a game and not getting disgusted at all the square tabs, but I really think it helps me hear the difference. Another thing is there just aren't as many nickles in circulation as other coins. As a check, save your pocket change for a week or two or however long it takes to get about a cup full. Then look at the ratio of nickles to other coins. I figure it's the same way in the field, just not that many compared to other coins. I have attached a photo of the loot I got this weekend on a hunt using my Nickle Game. I got 10 of 'em and 8 Mexican coins that hit in the nickle range as well.

thanks for the tips and info...all good things to consider...I have been digging more trash now than I first did and have been getting a few more of them..lots more tabs and foil too but it never hurts to clean up the environment a little..Nice loot BigCatDaddy