Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

2 tone vs 3 tone question

petew

I see and read all different reviews on this.I prefer 3 tone but will run 2 at times...I have ordered a racer2 and I have a question.how much deeper is 2 tone over 3? if it's like 3 inches its a no brainier,but if it's just like a inch ,I'd just as soon run 3 tone when I get the machine.I hunt everything from woods to old parks,old shut down schools,pretty much anywhere with old history.

petew said:
I see and read all different reviews on this.I prefer 3 tone but will run 2 at times...I have ordered a racer2 and I have a question.how much deeper is 2 tone over 3? if it's like 3 inches its a no brainier,but if it's just like a inch ,I'd just as soon run 3 tone when I get the machine.I hunt everything from woods to old parks,old shut down schools,pretty much anywhere with old history.

I await the answer to this as well.If time allows I'm really going to run the Racer and Racer 2 hard this season.

About an inch. I usually put three tone on and bump the gain. Some target are easier to size up in two tone so it's a good quick check available when needed. If you get a deepie on the cusp and are not sure just flip to all metal.

iqwozpoom said:
About an inch. I usually put three tone on and bump the gain. Some target are easier to size up in two tone so it's a good quick check available when needed. If you get a deepie on the cusp and are not sure just flip to all metal.

Thanks for info

three tone just need more gain , almost the same

At the start up settings of the device (Gain 70) , there is no change meaning there will still be a difference in depth between the 2-tone and 3-tone modes. As you start increasing the gain, you will start seeing minimal increases in depth (Gain 70 -90) and once you hit the maximum gain levels (90-99) the depth will start getting very close to the 2-tone levels at the same gain settings (90-99) without sacrificing stability. This is for the Red Racer !!

For what it's worth, I'm an ex Minelab guy and FBS offers loads of tones.
But, if I'm really concentrating on getting signals I would always of for 1 Tone
That 'guarantees' a clean audio hit where 'multi-tones' could confuse?
I'd apply the same to the Racer's.
First, get the signal
Second, interrogate it
Third, make quick changes to other Tone Options
Lastly, relish the find when it turns into a productive dig!

petew said:
I see and read all different reviews on this.I prefer 3 tone but will run 2 at times..
The only 'multi-tone model I have ever used and enjoyed [size=small](meaning more than 4 tones)[/size] was a White's XLT. However, I didn't use Tone ID all the time, just some of the time when Coin Hunting some urban settings such as large grassy parks or schools or sports fields ... if they were not too trashy. Other than those times, I relied on the single-tone audio.

On some models, like the Teknetics Omega 8000, I did use the 4-Tone audio, but mainly when I was doing some urban Coin Hunting in tot-lots or other high-use modern play areas because their 4-Tone design gave a mid-high tone for the US Nickel coin. For my Relic Hunting, or other city Coin Hunting needs such as vacant lots, renovation work, or old-use places, I relied on the 1-Tone or 2-Tone audio because the depth was better, the signals were cleaner, and the non-processed signal (compared with the more processed multi-tone assignment in 3 or 4 Tone function) provided me a better audio 'language' for target information.

Also, not on all but, on many 2-Tone functions, the lower bass-like Tone is a non-enhanced response, generally for the ferrous range, and the non-ferrous higher-Tone response is often VCO enhanced at least to some percentage of the detection distance. Because I like to run with a lower level of Discrimination, either to hear almost everything or to use no more Discrimination than just iron nail rejection, I enjoy a good working 2-Tone audio response to help classify targets as probably ferrous or non-ferrous, and also alert me to iron trash being present that could cause good target masking. Thus, I need to work the coil slowly and methodically around the iron to try and unmask any keepers.

petew said:
I have ordered a racer2 and I have a question.how much deeper is 2 tone over 3? if it's like 3 inches its a no brainier,but if it's just like a inch ,I'd just as soon run 3 tone when I get the machine.
At gain settings from the default of '70' to lower adjustments, these is a more noticeable difference in depth, favoring the 2-Tone mode as it was designed.

However, when the gain is increased above '70' you will start to see a more notable increase in the 3-Tone mode than in 2-Tone mode, and when close to or at the maximum Gain adjustment, the 3-Tone mode will have a detection depth very close to the 2-Tone mode. The 3-Tone mode is especially suited for traditional Coin & Jewelry Hunting, but useable for other applications.

petew said:
I hunt everything from woods to old parks,old shut down schools,pretty much anywhere with old history.
Those are the same types of sites I have looked for the bulk of the years I have been hunting, and still to this day.

If I can't get away to rural, out-of-the-way and very long-out-of-use places, then I try to find any old location in and close to town. Usually, they are not too heavily littered, and I have found small iron targets are the primary trash item at the site, and for that I prefer to hunt with a 2-Tone audio more often than 3-Tone. There will be times that you hunt a site that doesn't have a lot of targets and you have an opportunity to get a little more depth with a proper sweep speed and can take advantage of the Racer 2's 'DEEP' mode. It surpasses both 2-Tone and 3-Tone modes. 'DEEP' is still a 2-Tone function, but can definitely get a little more depth of detection.

Monte

I'm new to detecting but from what I've read, changing sensitivity/gain does not change depth.

Discrimination settings, however, do have an affect on depth.

Take this as an example: Article

I think depth is only determined by transmit power and coil size.

Increasing the sensitivity increases everything under the ground, including mineralization effects on the signal.

It think on the racer two and one one tone is deeper on the deus I hunt in two tone and use my disc at about 6.5 the less disc on the deus the more depth..also if you use a reactivity of say 2 or 1 even a bit more depth. The higher the reactivity the slower the swing the lower the reactivity like 1 or 2 the slower you sweep your coil.

yeah I like my detectors running stable as I can get them, just from a bit of fiddling with the GR they are tuned to the minute or second even, chatty things but going to need that looking for small bits, guess I will have to learn to work in to the noise a bit, F19 or GBP drove me a bit nuts till it clicked and this machine seems very similar in that regard, yet to do real testing (to hot) but it has enough settings to get it where anyone would like to hunt not the place but the noise.

AJ

I will get a hit on two tone and then switch to three tone and I see no added benefit to three tone for my ear. A mid tone may hide with the tone of iron but on two tone you have iron and your other target. So I put audio tone on 5. With the new racer 2 you can turn down the iron vol that maybe better when using two and three tone...

Low-Boy/LCP said:
With the new racer 2 you can turn down the iron vol that maybe better when using two and three tone...

I was thinking the same thing, turn iron volume down,run 3 tone and just hear 2.Can't wait for them to start shipping here to the states.