Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

2 seated ladys

My best friend lives in central Wisconsin in an old farming community. His house was built in the late 1980's , but his neighbor who is a 82 year old farmer who grew up in the area said his yard used to be an old farm field and an old barn used to stand near his property line. My friend uses a Explorer SE , and he is the main reason that I got an SE of my own ( I was tired of him kicking my butt when we went detecting together ). Last week he found his second seated liberty quarter in his yard - The first one that he found a few months back was a 1891 in Extremely fine ( almost AU condition ). He found the second one last week which was a well worn 1877 in good condition - both were about a foot deep. Morale of the story is - just because the house on the property isn't old it doesn't mean that something old used to be on or near the property. Old folks are a great resource to find out about what used to be in an area or where people used to do things and congregate years ago. More often than not they enjoy talking about the past with someone who is truly interested in what they have to say. Tell them about your hobby and how much you enjoy learning about the history of the area - Just be patient and listen to what they have to say , and then ask them some questions that you may have about where the old swimming holes , fishing holes , lovers lanes , fairgrounds , church picnic groves , and whatever else you may be interested in. Just don't seem in a rush and interrupt them - let them say what they have to say and you may be surprised at the number of old coins that will be added to your collection - not to mention other interesting items. Small price to pay for keeping an old timer company and letting them relive their glory days. A lot of the time they have lost their spouse and don't anyone around to keep them company. Maybe stop back at a later date and show them some of your finds - they may have thought of another place or two since your last meeting. Happy hunting!

That's really good advice. I once found a large cent at a house built in the 1950s (I never found out if there was earlier activity at this site). Many times, "old folks" are the only ties to what happened on certain properties since much of it wasn't recorded anywhere. Thanks for sharing this info and HH.