Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

2 Saxon Sceat kinda day

laplander

Administrator
Staff member
Doing a 10 day hunt in the U.K. and having a blast with great finds, and a super crew. We went hoard hunting today where a dozen Sceats had been found. I found the first one in just under a few minutes, the second took a couple hours. The T.I.D. varied a bit with the first one coming in around 10 with the second one reading 4 to 5. These are 600 A.D. Saxon silver coins that are pretty hard to find. They will be reported as treasure as an addendum to the hoard, if disclaimed by the museum I will get them back and give them a proper cleaning as they have lots of detail under the horn crust.
Field 1 recovery 4
HH Jeff

I know where you were today and how many other detectorists had been on this hoard spot. You are a fine Detectorist. Good for you

Some lovely Sceats,found 2 recently in a radius of about 12ft suspect that other could well be in that location as well,i suspect that the variation in TID is that the silver content can vary due to the availability of silver at the time,same can be said for hammered gold coinage as well some can have a higher gold content and others actually have other metals added as well hence this can give different TID......this is the main reason i never rely on what a screen tells you,audio is king all the time in my mind.

Well done on finding those coins,i found mine and hope for some more near a DMV 'deserted medieval village',hope you find some more it could be a casual purse loss but with that amount been found thus far it does give some indication that a container of some sort in near by,could well be deep though.

It was great to be there to witness your sceat finds. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to put my coil over the first sceat before you dug it (luckily that didn’t jinx it).

Guido

Congratulations!

That’s a good job you did finding those old coins.

For someone who doesn’t go to England, for comparisons - are they smaller than US dimes?

Tony

BigTony said:
Congratulations!

That’s a good job you did finding those old coins.

For someone who doesn’t go to England, for comparisons - are they smaller than US dimes?

Tony
11. 7 mm's in diameter about 7/16. You could probably put 3 on a dime!

Mega said:
Some lovely Sceats,found 2 recently in a radius of about 12ft suspect that other could well be in that location as well,i suspect that the variation in TID is that the silver content can vary due to the availability of silver at the time,same can be said for hammered gold coinage as well some can have a higher gold content and others actually have other metals added as well hence this can give different TID......this is the main reason i never rely on what a screen tells you,audio is king all the time in my mind.

Well done on finding those coins,i found mine and hope for some more near a DMV 'deserted medieval village',hope you find some more it could be a casual purse loss but with that amount been found thus far it does give some indication that a container of some sort in near by,could well be deep though.
I agree with your assessment on the ancient gold and silver coinage. this amount variation is the most I have noticed for a TID number. I also agree that audio rules ! I had 1 and 2 notched for coke so it was a near miss on the last coin you might go lower :shrug: Congrats on your Sceats !
HH Jeff

Congrats again Jeff on the sceats!

Some of the earlier ones came up as 2 on the Nox.

Thanks Very low conductive numbers Buddy, Different than the others I have dug. Keeps you on your toes doesn't it LOL By the way I pulled 39 non ferrous target out of that patch:shrug:
HH Jeff

Lost In Time said:
Nice coins them buddy , out of interest what settings was you suing
Thanks, there should be a lot of detail under the silver horn based from previous experience's, just have to wait on the PAS to see the outcome.

Field one I chose this because it handles Coke best, and after finding a faint low tone {5} I tried the target in park one, fielded 1, and field 2 and they all hit it just fine.
recovery 4
Sens 25
iron bias 0-2
ground balance 0
5 tones with factory bins
threshold 3
iron off
Large coil
didn't noise cancel no EMI and rarely do
Cheers Jeff