Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

2 coil questions

sport.pilot

Hello everyone,

I have the standard coil and I am wondering if the 10 inch DD coil is easier to pinpoint with than the concentric coil, and if the 10 inch DD will go as deep as the standard coil. Thanks.

Darryl

Darryl, Either the concentric or DD should be easy to pinpoint with. Just a matter of taking a different approach with each. On the concentric coils, the "strongest" signal should be when the target is in the center of the coil. You can determine this by Xing over the target from a variety of directions, while in your "hunt mode". Or, you can use the Pinpoint mode and listen for the strongest response, while sweeping over the target. Or, if you have the X-70, you can switch to Prospecting mode and listen for the strongest response while sweeping over the target. Any of these methods should work fine for concentrics. With the DD coils, I still simply X over the target from multiple directions, making a mental note of where the strongest signals are located. When you cross over the target in a perpendicular sweep, the intersection of that X will be the location of the target. Many folks implement a sweep and drag method on DD coils. To accomplish this, simply sweep the coil back and forth (repeatedly) over the target, while pulling the coil slowly closer to you. When the signal finally "drops off" the front of the coil, that is where the target will be located...... directly off the front tip of the coil.

As to DD versus concentric in depth comparisons....... much of that will depend on your soil conditions. I hunt in what I consider to be moderately mineralized soil. I can typically GB with a setting of between 35 and 45. In those sites, the concentric coil will provide me as much depth as the DD. I just have to be more aware of overlapping my swaths to a greater degree. If I am hunting a site that requires a GB setting of less than 30, I will opt for the DD design. DD coils are made to "offset" the effects of mineralization and will provide more stability, and generally more depth. JMHO HH Randy

Thank you Digger. Does a higher ground balance number eqal milder soil? Or for example, if the GB number is 25, is that hotter than say a 35 or 40? Thanks.

Using a properly ground balanced X-Terra, the ground phase reading (the number you see when you GB) is the X-Terra's "language" for compensating for both conductivity and magnetic properties in the soil. Although the GB number does not indicate any specific ground mineralization, highly mineralized ground generally results in a lower GB number being displayed on the X-Terra. And, higher GB numbers represent areas where you are likely encountering "less" mineralization. The numbers displayed are simply a number provided as a reference point, for the X-Terra.

BarnacleBill made a couple excellent posts as to how the ground phase readings are utilized by the X-Terra. Here are the links to those posts:

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,566150,567211#msg-567211

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,574329,574329#msg-574329

HH

Randy