Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1st trip with my Excal II

stpauli914

Well, I woke up at 5:30am on my day off to go hit the beach and try out my new Excal II. Started at a fairly popular local beach and hunted for about an hour and a half. Really spent a lot of time playing with the detector and learning the tones, and adjusting the threshold and sensitivity. Very impressed with the depth I got on a few targets. I was recovering pennies from as much as 10-12" in the wet sand. Found a tiny piece of thin aluminum about 8" down. After a while I decided to move to a more popular beach and with storm clouds moving in I didn't have much time. Only spent about 30 minutes at this spot and realized I should have come here first!! Found the OLD pulltab in the breakers in the first minute. Also found the 2 older nickels in the wet sand. Spent a little time in the water but it is tough swinging in waist deep water!! I'd love to hear some tips to keep my wrist from going numb. Toward the end I was getting some false signals toward the ends of the sweeps so I turned the sens down a bit, but it didn't really help. No biggie, it was still hittting good on the real targets so I didn't worry. When I got home and popped off the coil cover to wash it down I found quite a bit of sand in there. I imagine that may have been my falses since it didn't start falsing till the end of the hunt. Any ideas on keeping the sand outa there?? Thanks everyone for the help :)

Settings:
Searched in Disc mode
Disc: 0-1
Volume: max
Sensitivity Noon to 2:00ish
Threshold barely audible

The finds:

MetalDetecting002.jpg

wait till you get the hang of that thing, same thing with your wife did you get the hang of her in one day , no way you still cant figure her out . i think the detector will be ease. Gun

You are finding stuff and that is a good thing. Apparently you have no problem pin-pointing and recovering targets so now all there is left to do is get that coil over something gold. Listen to those bottle caps carefully. You will notice an echo before and after the initial cap blast. Gold is very clear and NO echos. HH :minelab:

Hope you have a wetsuit...gloves and booties. I got 5mm set. Nice an cozy during most conditions. HH -Joe

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I'm still learning my excal II also. Nice machine though. Just gonna take lots of practice. I hate digging all the trash , but , I don't like the thought of missing small gold by using too much disc.

Good Luck.............HH

Pull you're coil cover off take some silicone and run a thin bead along the side of the coil.
Place the coil cover on and then run a generous bead along the top of the cover where it meats the coil.
take a wet rag or wet finger and smooth it out not to wipe to much away.Let it dry as recommended.
This will fix the sand & water from getting in there.

Now get out there and learn your machine and swing. Sooner or later you will find gold.
Good luck!

Good luck with learning that machine. I have 3 hunts in with it. Lucked out with a silver and it sounded fantastic.
cheers
Doc

Thanks guys! Coil is siliconed and I am planning an early morning hunt again this friday. Trying to get my skills honed for a weeks vacation on St. Pete beach the week after the 4th of July!!! Hopefully some fresh drops!!