Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1st Finds With My Discovery 3300

I finally got out to test my new BH 3300 this morning and here is a picture of the finds. The Sterling Silver Mens Band was at 6" and rang out loud and clear & the Old Spoon Ring was 5" and locked on at the half dollar mark.

Happy Hunting All!!!

Barry

Hiya Barry,

I realize your post is almost a month old, but since the majority of the posts of the past month have been deleted due to the crash, I figured I'd add to this one.

I just picked up my Discovery 1100 this morning at Radio Shack for the princely sum of $29.97, and anxiously started detecting both in my yard and at a local park.

After about 3 hours of digging, I was $.49 richer, and had racked up quite a bit of trash, including a solid lead bar about 4"x2"x1/2" buried in my yard... still trying to figure out what that was used for... probably prehistoric bondo.

Currently I'm just mainly looking for clad, since I'm starting up a 'real detector' savings jar... gonna make each detector pay for the next one. :D

The best part was that the Discovery Jr. detectors were also on sale for $9.97, so I picked up an extra 1100 for my wife, and one of the Jr.'s for each of my kids, so now it's a family affair.

Happy hunting!

David.

Hi Flint!

Congrats on your detector purchases. It's great to hear that it's a full family hobby for you. Contrary to what most people think & say about Bounty Hunter metal detectors, they really are a good value for the money. The Discovery 1100 is a great cost efficient way to start out treasure hunting, and even clad coinshooting is fun, I do it too for a change of pace from looking for the older stuff.

Glad to hear from you & happy hunting to you & yours!

Barry

I agree wholeheartedly.

So far I've been very impressed with the sensitivity and accuracy of my 1100. The lead bar was down about 8" in the soil, though it was large and the soil was wet (freshly watered lawn).

Even though it has built-in discrimination, right now I'm digging everything just to get a feel for the detector. In one spot at our park, I had a midrange hit on something down about 5-6", and after digging out the hole it had found a thin piece of aluminum ring, the bottom part of a screw-on cap retainer, that usually stays on the bottle after you remove the cap. I was pretty impressed that it was a solid hit in dry ground (dry like concrete) at that depth with this budget detector.

The Jr. detectors aren't bad either, though they don't have preset discrimination levels... you pretty much have to find a piece of rusted iron first, then use the dials to discriminate it out otherwise they hit on 'everything' in sight (and my hands get sore from digging so much stuff). :)

Before I bought the 1100 I was eyeballing the Garrett Ace 250, so I think that's what I'm going to save my pennies for, though I was also looking at the higher-end BH's such as the Lone Star and Land Star. Of course, by the time I save up enough clad there will probably be something 'bigger and better' out, but we'll have to wait and see.

But for $80 + tax, you can't beat getting four detectors for $40 less than the 1100 originally cost. Definitely no regrets here.

Thanks for your input, and happy hunting!

David.

I just called a Radio Shack less than a mile from work and they had one left, the guy is going to hold it for me, picking it up at lunchtime.

About $30, before tax.

Couldn't buy a decent electronic probe for that price, oughta' make a nice backup/loaner/kids machine.

Looking forward to taking it for a spin!

Thanx for the tip!!!
Skillet

Got an 1100 at lunchtime... depth seems mediocre, even for a 7" coil. Target response and consequently, pinpointing, is sluggish too.

Doesn't seem to hit targets very hard at any sens. setting.

I was hoping for a snappier target response, especially from a coin shooting rig. Nothing like a Tesoro, even my old Garrett Freedom Ace plus whips it for speed.

Hate to take it back, it was only $30 and the last one they had.

The 1100 is my first detector, so I really have nothing to compare it to, but it seems to be doing good so far.

Like you noticed, the deeper the target, the looser it gets. If it's within 4" of the surface, though it'll find it.

Mine seems to find things pretty easily and tracks quickly. I use a pretty fast sweep when I'm fanning around, and it'll get a flicker of a beep and I'll quickly re-zone back into the area where I heard it.

I've dug a couple pennies and a quarter out of the ground at about 5-6" in moist dirt, but in the dry stuff (like 'brick' dry), it only seems to be able to read down to about 3" or so. For the money, though, it's a pretty decent-swinging detector. I'm up to about $5.50 in clad after three days of digging here and there, though the majority of that was within the top 2-3" of the soil.

Hi

Cool finds. Your lead bar was probably used to melt into cast iron sewer pipe, to seal the joints between the pipes. I worked in plumbing in 1973 and we were using rubber gaskets then. It's older than that. Cya-Mark