Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1962 Nickel....silver????

detector-chic

Hello Gang! Last week I found a 1962 Nickel and I was wondering if it was silver or if it may have a percentage of silver in it. I tried looking up online but couldn't find anything. It feels heavier than a clad nickel. I got really excited cause it's the oldest coin i have found so far. (Besides two wheaties in change from wal-mart!)
Any info that ya'll have would be greatly appreciated! It's a 1962, no letters behind the date. Thanks! Tracy

It is a regular nickel. The only nickels that had silver were 1942-1945. When you dig one they usually still look silver. Regular nickels usually come out purple looking in my ground

n/t

My first detector was a BFO Detex and for a few years my oldest coin was a 1946 Wheatie and I had just about given up on detecting. In 1983 I saw and ad for the New Tech production Fisher 1210. I gave it a shot and ordered one. Started finding ole Wheaties in the teens and twenties, Mercs,Rosies,and Silver Jewelry. Still use Fisher Detectors to this day and have paid for them many times. Keep hunting and you will gain experience and goodies. Good Luck.

Rats! Oh well, thanks everyone for the input! I will keep hunting! It will be exciting when I can have a whole day again to detect. It's so hot that I am keeping my hunts short. Have a blessed week everyone!

Silver nickels are known and very expensive!

When the mint was running silver dimes or even penny blanks, rarely a blank remains in the feeder. When the dies are then changed to a nickel and minting resumes - viola! A nickel on a dime or penny planchet!

I collect nickels and have only seen 2 of each of these errors.

nail-hunter said:
Silver nickels are known and very expensive!

When the mint was running silver dimes or even penny blanks, rarely a blank remains in the feeder. When the dies are then changed to a nickel and minting resumes - viola! A nickel on a dime or penny planchet!

I collect nickels and have only seen 2 of each of these errors.
I was talking about 1942-1945 40% silver ones. They are pretty common. I have a few of them they go for about 1.50 or more.

7C - I have about 66 war nickels - all dug over the years. Where could I sell them for 1.50 each ?

Thanks, Steve in so la

I sold a bunch on one of the forums a few years ago. I just checked melt value. I was a little off. They are 90 cents melt value right now.