Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1919 S Wheat

SandCat

I went out this afternoon with my Vaquero and hit a dirt parking area of my old family cemetery up in the hills.

Turned up a 1919 S wheat penny at about two inches. Wasn't expecting it to be that old, but it was a pleasant surprise.

Also three bases of the old paper shotgun shells, a metal hood of a toy car, and a curiously shaped piece of lead.

A fun couple of hours. :detecting:

I wonder if that 1919 S wheat is worth anything?

I just found a 1919 but I don't think its an S series.
Katz

Your "curiously shaped piece of lead" looks to be a wheel weight for balancing a tire. The part in the middle looks to be the metal clip that holds the weight to the edge of the wheel and the deformed part looks to be the actual lead that provides most of the weight and that has indeed been considerably deformed.

In "as dug" condition isn't going to be worth much. The trouble is, they come out of the ground in pretty grungy shape, and collectors don't pay for that.
Among the Lincoln Cents, the 1919-S is ubiquitous, even non-descript, so the value is more in finding it than in cash. Here is a link to Lincoln Cent Resource Center:

http://www.lincolncentresource.com/index.html

Cliff KS said:
Your "curiously shaped piece of lead" looks to be a wheel weight for balancing a tire. The part in the middle looks to be the metal clip that holds the weight to the edge of the wheel and the deformed part looks to be the actual lead that provides most of the weight and that has indeed been considerably deformed.

There is no clip on it.

I doubt it was a wheel weight.

It is rather small. It appears to be the result of having been molten. :shrug:

SandCat said:
Cliff KS said:

There is no clip on it.

It is rather small. It appears to be the result of having been molten. :shrug:
Yep, melted lead. Possibly the result of bullet casting, if it was indeed a remote site back in it's heyday.
This was a common practice until relatively modern times, and wasn't something practiced only by Revolutionary War soldiers.
I used to cast my own bullets when I was a kid.
If there were ever structures there with indoor plumbing, then it may have been the result of that. The very word, "plumbing" comes from the latin word for lead.

dahut said:
Yep, melted lead. Possibly the result of bullet casting, if it was indeed a remote site back in it's heyday.
This was a common practice until relatively modern times, and wasn't something practiced only by Revolutionary War soldiers.
I used to cast my own bullets when I was a kid.
Yeah, lead is fairly easy to melt. I used to melt it with a propane torch when I was a kid.

dahut said:
If there were ever structures there with indoor plumbing, then it may have been the result of that. The very word, "plumbing" comes from the latin word for lead.
And plum-bob.

I don't know if there ever was a dwelling here in the past. Things turn up in strange places.

SandCat said:

There is no clip on it.

C'mon, you guys - you really don't know a magnet-backed can opener when you see one?
Man, what has the world come to... :drinking: