Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"1776" ring needs ID, please!!!

Bob in SoMd

I found this well-worn man's ring with "1776" engraved on the face a while back near a known revolutionary war campsite. Site where found is now a yard from a house dating from the 1890's. There appears to be some other writing on the face but I cannot make it out. There is no stamp or engraving on the inside. Both sides appear to have crossed flags engraved.

Any ideas or thoughts as to origin, etc. are appreciated. Thanks for looking!

oh man i wish i could help with the identity but too me that looks old!!!!!

Thanks all! Think you're right John. I need to get in contact with a museum.

The center area appears to be a name your photo shades that area and it is stained. Perhaps it was coated at one time and corrosion took its turn. Suggest a careful ultrasound cleaning in 15% ammonia water solution and a silver plate adjacent to allow the ions to migrate....

May make the name more legible. A museum dealing with old jewlery will be hard to find. If the date is 1776 then the ring dates laterthan that as it implies a knowledge of the historical significance of the date and that was not contemporary to that time.

You might try any of these sites dealing in Americana.

SEE: http://www.legacyamericana.com/servlet/the-template/recommendedlinks/Page

Heritage Auction Galleries,are very good.
http://historical.ha.com/Americana/

In doing a search I see the numbers 1776 associated often with silver rings. I researched that and it saidthat marking meant that the ring was 89.6 percent silver. I have no idea if this has anything at all to do with your ring.

D.D.L.,

Interesting, can you post the link you saw in conducting your research? I have not had any good luck with online research for this.

Bob

Bob...do nothing with the ring as far as cleaning it. Do more research to make sure what you have. I have seen a lot of real good fines ruined by trying to clean. If it's 1776 then it could have a high value. HH TomB

Tom,

I agree about no cleaning. It's tucked away until I find an expert to take a look at it. So far, no luck but will keep trying.