Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

15" WOT coil problem

crazybill

I finally got out for a few hours to try out my new coil. Found some bottle caps, lead balls and some clad. Nothing real deep. One problem that popped up is that whenever the coil had the slightest bump the 705 gave a metal sound. Sometimes ferrous, sometimes a high tid, 42 or so.
Anyone else having this happen? My other coil is the DD eleptical and gets bumped a lot with no sounds. The WOT coil performes well in my test garden so it seems functional otherwise. The connection is tight at the detector. When I removed the coil but left it plugged in and tested it off the detector it sounded off at the slightest bump.
If this is normal for this coil, then I can live with it. But it is a lot of money for a coil that is so fragile.
As a side note the place I was detecting was a cow pasture so there were plenty of things to bump against.
-Bill-

Not sure but I think Digger posted about you might need to turn the sensitivity down when using that coil to eliminate falsing.

DirtAngler, thanks for your reply. In order to stop the falsing due to bumps I have to go down to 11 on the sensitivity. At that point the coil performes worse than my stock coil.
-Bill-

Crazy Bill! You might have a bad coil with maybe loose wiring...had that on my 10,5 DD.

Have the WOT and used it for 7 months,no problem using it at 26-30 sens(on my ground) and such behaviour have never occured on my coil. Hit bumps all the time,but very little falsing.
The best coil I have had on my terra.Love small item as well.Going down to sens 11 and you will not have much of detection depth.

Can only speak good abiut the WOT.

Mike

Hey Bill,
The coil should not be performing like that.

It cannot be a loose wire as all wires are solid epoxy potted. I would expect it may be an issue with its calibration.

Please return it to your place of purchase so you can get a warranty replacement. Did you register your warranty? We can then assign you a new number and void the old number.

I hope this gets you on your way,
Best regards,
Trevor @ Coiltek.

EOS and Trevor, thanks for your replies. That is an impressive picture! Were you using that coil like that?
Trevor, I contacted Rob at Robsdetectors where I purchased the coil and he immediately put me in touch with "Doc" who had me send him the coil for evaluation. It is on the way to him now.
I was unaware of registering the warranty as the coil arrived with no documentation. I looked at your website and can't find a way to do this online. I am probably missing something.
Thanks again to all who responded. I had to save for a while for this coil and I am looking forward to getting one back and returning to the site where I was using it. I'm sure I left some "treasures" behind.
-Bill-

Hi Bill

Mine is silent if I bump it
sounds like you lucked out
hope you get it fixed Ok
T59

Cheers Bill, I am sure Doc will get it sorted quick for you.

When you received the coil it should have come with a Tag attached to the cable which had a label on it with your unique registration number. Just go to the website www.isitgenuine.com.au and you can go through the steps to register as a user (free) and register your Coiltek Coils. Make sure you remember your username and password as you can go back in the future to register another if you do purchase another type. All of our new coils now come with this so please let us know if yours did not.

You can get to the site and read more here: http://coiltekmanufacturing.com.au/coitek-certificates.html

We have taken these steps as there are counterfeit Coiltek products out there - mainly for the gold hunting coils. There are also counterfeit X-Terra PCB's being used!! Make sure you buy your gear from an authorised Minelab Dealer.

I look forward to hearing how you go.

Best regards,
Trevor

Well, I finally found the tag that came with the coil. I found it under the couch I had the box on when I opened it. It must have looked like Christmas around here when I tore it open. I registered it online as Trevor suggested.
As for the coil itself, "Doc" the North American distributor for Coiltek has it now and I am awaiting word on the outcome. Coiltek has an excellent reputation so I'm sure it will be taken care of soon.
Gotta get back to that cow pasture.
-Bill-

I was notified yesterday that Coiltek is sending me a new coil. This is about a week and a half turnaround time. I don't think this length of time is unreasonable and I am very happy that I am getting a new coil rather that one with repairs.
Score one for Coiltek! I will definitely look to them for future coils.
-Bill-