Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

15 inch WOT coil

thadious

I bought a wot 15 inch coil for my sovereign gt and am curious about whether my beach settings should stay the same, I currently am set up with 0 disc,0 notch, band 2, sensitivity at 12, volume full and pinpoint on. I usually leave it in mask off. I set the threshold to barely audible. I also use tracking instead of fixed mode as I believe the beaches here in San Diego change mineralization a lot. Oh one last thought all metal or discrimination for the beach which do you use.

thadious: errikk uses WOTs water hunting and is VERY sucessfull with the 15 inch. He should respond if he's not hunting he can help you. HH :minelab:

I would run the Sensitivity up as far as it will go without falsing ......If your beach is trashy, run your Sovereign in Discrimintate mode , otherwise I would run in All Metal , and again , run the sensitivity as high as I could ....I would leave notch and disc both at 0 , and you will only be discriminating iron .....I use Iron Mask OFF if the beach is noisy ....If it's quiet , you can run Mask On ... User's preference ..... You're not gonna get penalized for having it OFF ..... Keep your threshold just audible ...Not LOUD .... By not discriminating everything except iron , it leaves you open to Silver , Gold , coins , etc ..... You will also probably run into some really LOW tones which will be foil ....A lot of those juice drinks that kids love are in the foil range ..... Foli range is also part of the Gold range !!......Jim

The tracking only works in All metal not in Disc mode. When in AM i prefer the fix(once tracked) as tracking makes a bit of a scandel at times and the threshold is not as smooth.

Agreed on tracking for a bit , and then going into fixed mode in A.M. ........ and fixed is also suppose to go a bit deeper also ..... Jim

I don't have a Sov so can't help U there but on the Excal I run in Disc, 0-1 disc, Full volume, threshold just a low buzz and Sens about 2-3 O'Clock Almost never change the settings only the on-off and pretty much dig all targets (with the Blue head phone 1000 I can tell about 85% can slaw and 75% bottle caps with any of them)
Also , I don't know about AM on the Sov but I do know that hunting in PP on the Excal will shrink your coil footprint so for those that do and believe they are gaining a inch or two go for it I use the WOT and don't worry about depth and with the volume on max you really don't need an amp to hear a good ring signal for as deep as I care to dig HH

I run in AM/pinpoint. First I ground balancing in track, toggle down to fix then to pinpoint, with the sensitivity at full, just above the auto setting, disc & notch at 0 and the threshold barely audible. After many trips to the beach and going back and forth from AM to Disc, there's no doubt in my mind that this set up works best on the beach's that I hunt. Listen for that faint hump in the threshold, I then check in disc to see if I get a null. Often there's nothing in disc. After digging an 18" hole, there it is. I should ad that I'm using the SEF 12.5" Excelerator, for my money the best coil for the Sov. I also have a SunRay S-12 on my other Sov GT that the wife uses, it doesn't go near as deep. I'm surprised that I don't hear about more folks using that 12.5" SEF.

SurfPro said:
I run in AM/pinpoint. First I ground balancing in track, toggle down to fix then to pinpoint, with the sensitivity at full, just above the auto setting, disc & notch at 0 and the threshold barely audible. After many trips to the beach and going back and forth from AM to Disc, there's no doubt in my mind that this set up works best on the beach's that I hunt. Listen for that faint hump in the threshold, I then check in disc to see if I get a null. Often there's nothing in disc. After digging an 18" hole, there it is. I should ad that I'm using the SEF 12.5" Excelerator, for my money the best coil for the Sov. I also have a SunRay S-12 on my other Sov GT that the wife uses, it doesn't go near as deep. I'm surprised that I don't hear about more folks using that 12.5" SEF.

Do you mean the 10X12" SEF coil is the best coil??

Yes the 10 x 12.5" SEF Excelerator is the best coil that I've used. It's a very synergistic match with the Sov GT, It acts the same as the stock Tornado but more depth and range. I didn't have to change any settings from what I used with Stock coil. It was a seamless change. The Sun Ray coil is much more buggy and definitely not as smooth IMHO.

I'm seeing a lot of posts about the various coils ......After reading so many of them , I can pretty much say that everybody has their own favorite coil(s) and I have also seen mention something that is so important in a lot of threads ....The very one statement that sticks out in my head is ......."in MY SOIL " ....or "on MY BEACH" ...... I think we have to remember how soil and sand conditions play an important role on how we hunt, or what we use to hunt , or what settings we use to hunt ..... I have noticed that I have had almost complete opposite results as someone else has when hunting in their area ...... NOTHING is etched in stone guys !!.....Try it all !!.....Jim

Jim, I couldn't agree more, "try it all", that's how I came about the AM/Pinpoint set up that I use. I'm always tuning and messing around with the controls, even on my Dual Field which has very effective but somewhat simple controls as compared to the Sov GT. Figure out what's works best for YOU, using your machine where you hunt.

Does anybody use the SEF 10X12 in highly mineralized soil such as the pacific northwest? I am curious how it performs here. It is so mineralized here I find that turning iron mask off and using rather low sensitivity settings is often a must.

See my big 12x10 Is She A Keeper? thread. My soil contains a lot of minerals at least at some sites and the 12x10 appears to get better depth for me than the 15x12. The 15x12 I feel saw too much mineral content and so got less depth than the 10" Tornado. So far it appears the 12x10 is deeper than the 10" Tornado, and I think it's because the detection field of the 12x10 is so well defined/tight that it's soaking in less ground stew. :drool: MMMmmmm....Ground Stew...

Critterhunter said:
See my big 12x10 Is She A Keeper? thread. My soil contains a lot of minerals at least at some sites and the 12x10 appears to get better depth for me than the 15x12. The 15x12 I feel saw too much mineral content and so got less depth than the 10" Tornado. So far it appears the 12x10 is deeper than the 10" Tornado, and I think it's because the detection field of the 12x10 is so well defined/tight that it's soaking in less ground stew. :drool: MMMmmmm....Ground Stew...

Critterhunter,

I have been following that thread. I was waiting for someone to answer Crazyman's request to see how the coil performed in mineralized ground in the West. I believe I am up against what he is: crazy soil. Your posts have me convinced I should give the SEF a try, but even $200 is a hard investment for me at this time. Perhaps I will wait until the risk/benefit changes before I take the plunge. Thanks for vast amount of great reading and input you post on this forum, Critter

KellyCo has a money back guarantee on those coils. Sure, I think you lose 20% or something but it's no questions asked. It's $169 plus $14 shipping I think.