Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

15" Coiltek with SE on the Beach?

Mike2

Hi guys, can anyone tell me if they have used the 15" Coiltek with their SE on the beach and if so how did you find it? Was pinpointing a problem and did you get much depth? I am planning on using this coil for my next beach hunt, hopefully this weekend depending on the weather,

Thanks
Mike:cheers:

I hope you have a brute of a beach scoop and eat your Wheaties because that coil will go rediculously deep if targets are down there. The coil is also quite good on smaller targets. Pinpointing is usually more of a challenge with a coil of that size BUT the SE has a big advantage over the XS and II in that its redesigned pinpointing mode is far superior so it should not be a problem.

That said there are some issues.

1. I have noticed this on both beaches in NH and the South Jersey shore. At the end of your swing if your coil tips up just a little bit you will get a high pitch false using ferrous tones. The false ID's lower right. If you keep the coil absolutely flat no falsing but that takes a lot of extra effort. Here's the trick to deal with the problem, notch out rusty bottle caps. You will get a slight null at the end of each swing instead of the high pitch false, this lets you concentrate on the faint silver/quarter signals without having to pick through the high pitched falses.

2. The 15 inch WOT coil is a heavy mother. If you don't get a frequent break swinging to stop and dig a target your arm is likely to get tired in short order. Especially when beach hunting because its a race against the 4 hour low tide so typically you are trying to cover as much beach as you can quickly. I have my lightweight XS torn apart now converting it with a straight shaft and moving both the battery and control box to the extreme rear to better balance that big coil. I have built a similar rig before and it made swinging the WOT feel about like swinging the stock coil. This setup should be even better. With the SE however being a new machine even I'm not looking to mod my SE just yet so you will have to just deal with the weight. Also with all that weight remember an object in motion tends to stay in motion, you get that big coil moving left to right and you are going to have to put the brakes on then reverse direction. That put a fair amount of stress on my upper shaft where it locks into the handle under the control box. Now my upper shaft is a little loose.

On the bright side you can cover a lot more beach with that coil and it will go deep. It's also well known for hitting good on targets on edge e.g. think big diamond rings nose down due to the weight of the stone. You dig one of those and you will forget all about your sore arm. Good luck!

Charles

Thanks Charles I have a diamond head scoop that should do the job, I also at times carry a cut down shovel for my "non water" detecting which I find works very well. I just dig to the rough depth and then run my probe over the spoil; I find this works well for me in the wet sand. I would not use this method in dry sand or water detecting ( Excalibur) .I will let you know how I go with the false tones at the end of each swing, I am glad you told me about this as it will be a great help. The issues of stress on the upper shaft is a worry but I will also keep an eye out for any possible problems.

Whilst we are into our summer the weather is not that great and I have only been finding a few old coins lately 5-7 inches most of the time, I think I need to go deeper and I am hoping the 15" will do the job, I will post my finds (if any) this coming Saturday if the weather holds out.

Thanks and :cheers: and a Merry Christmas to you and everyone on this forum
Mike

PS the little guy on the left is not me:rofl:

Hmmm Mike,
is one of those presents mine ???

Heh heh,

Merry Christmas !

Snowy:twodetecting:

Snowy

I have left your presnet about 8" deep in a beach south of NSW, just to the left on the small wave that always comes in at around 5pm, if you have any problems finding it just drop me a line.

Mike:beers: and best wishes:twodetecting:

Ooohh boy oh boy Mike ...

Ya mean yer left me a present at a beach on the New South Wales coast !!!

8 inches deep ...
Scared.gif

Near which wave ???

I use a 16 1/2" Excellerator 2 and I see a big coil on open beach the only way to go. Pinpointing with it on the SE is no problem.

I've got a 15" WOT coming ~ today I think...
After Christmas, then I'm going to hit the beaches running ~ I'm gonna hoooover the place...

Snowy