Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1265/66 tune-up/service Question???

M-scope

Has anyone here #recently# sent in their 1265/66X or other older 1200 series into the New Fisher for a go-over,tune-up,re-calib,???If you have? were you happy with the turn-around time,results,price etc..?? I have my first 1265 from 1988 still in my arsenal. Works great but head is getting loose,pinpoint switch questionable,etc..wear n tear from alot of hours. I'm sure its crusty inside as well{connections,wiring} and has lost some of its capabilities over the years from hard/dirty conditions.. I just wondered if sending it in for a go-over is going to give it some more life and bring it back up to par? Or if its really not going to make any preformance gains??? And if Fisher does a thorough job replacing anything questionable???? All experiences on sending in older units there welcome'd,...good/bad..Thanks,

And, I'm not interested in sending it elsewhere...

When my 1265 got all worn out I bought a 1266 to replace it. I do believe the 66 goes a little deeper and the sens button is opposite so that's nice. I figured why redo the 65, just get a 66. I got one for 300 bux, wore that one out and now have my 2 nd 66 going. Steve in so az

Just might be cost prohibitive as used 1266 units still can be had and basically the same unit with a spyder coil and just a reverse sens, way to set for max. depth if you hit extremely low mineralized ground...

Dan-Pa. said:
Just might be cost prohibitive as used 1266 units still can be had and basically the same unit with a spyder coil and just a reverse sens, way to set for max. depth if you hit extremely low mineralized ground...

Ran this one next to a 66 and depth was equal. I have the 10.5"spider coil along with a few others and really dont want to chance buying used and getting another with the same hours/issues. I have seen what I thought were a few "pristine" used 66's on the bay and usually they're around 350.00. I just thought it would be better/cheaper? to have mine gone-over at the factory!?!?...Maybe I'll try giving them a call and seeing what can be offered. Thanks for the input!

right Dan about some parts being a problem. I called Fisher today in reference to ordering a couple of battery cases for a 65 that I sold a friend over 10 years ago and the nice lady said they no longer could replace them. That was after yesterday being told what the part # was . I am to call back tomorrow and speak with a tech. and see just what /if they have ,or are suggesting to use for replacements. Another friend who has a couple of 65s and a 66 got new replacements 4-5 years ago before Fisher changed hands and he was able to replace all his batt. holders,. I am in hopes of finding info on replacements but it's not looking favorable. Surely anyone that is looking for a refurb is going to have some serious problems if I can't locate a couple of batt. holders. The nice lady reminded me that model is 17 years old, and I am thinking, dang, I know that and I got a buddy that smokes my butt regularly with his 66 he has been using for nearbout 17 years or so..I read also that there are more than a couple of ole 65 -66 hands that will argue that the 65 in some cases is deeper than the 66. LOL, That's Cool! I will let y'all know what I find out about the batt. holders.

fowlercharles, You can get battery holders on ebay. I bought a set/pair last year for under 10.00 with shipping? They arent the factory originals but they work just fine!

what I was hoping to hear from someone.. I think I will call Fisher and talk to the Tech anyway and see if they are able to do any refurb or whatever to he older machines.65s' and 66s' are still holding their value very well and as long as there is life in them, there will be someone swinging them.Thanks again!

I called Fisher today and talked to a tech. about Battery holders and in the process forgot to ask about refurbs.Hey, I'm old! He did tell me they no longer have the replacment holders. I did find those on ebay and see that they have 2 different versions, and that the one they say is for the 66 looks to be the old style white one for the 65, which has a full length back side which allowed for little or no flexability and was probably the reason so many cracked at the ends. The other version is black, and for Fisher and Garrett,( I think, may have been Whites) and has a back that is open spaced and likely to be the better of the two.I will know more about that when I talk to my friend that has used both versions. I do remember that the replacements he got a few years back were black. M-scope you can probably add more or better info to all this since I haven't used the 65 or 66 in many years and don't really know the situation.

I ordered the "black" Fisher,Garrett battery holders from ebay. I asked the seller and he said he has used both the white and black holders and they fit both the 65 and the 66.Also said that the Black ones are much stronger and better than the white ones. Those stated on ebay to be for the 66 are the old style ones first used in the 65 and were quick to break on the ends so please don't be fooled. If so you will soon have to order the black ones for replacements. HH,,, FC

If you need service on any vintage detector call keith willis at broken detectors.com. He can fix about any old machine out there!

If I'm not mistaken I've seen someone on here I believe that was selling an older 1265X or it could have been on eBay, never the less he just mentioned he had sent it back to the factory for a tune-up.and repairs. I'm not sure when he got the tune up and repairs done but do a search or even like you mentioned call Fisher and let us know because I also have some problems with mine, the switch no longer switches to Disc. 2 mode and I believe the pinpoint seems not to function properly either. Also my 8" standard coil is all scuffed up and probably could use a newer coil. I don't see any offered that fit the 1265x on the Fisher site, but that don't mean others won't work. As far as the Plastic battery holders are concerned I have replaced mine a couple of years ago, they were Black bought from a electronics parts place. They don't seem to be as stiff as the white ones but will work just as good. Heck for the price you can get two for under $5. I purchased 3 bags which had 2 in each bag just for backups because there are other things that use the same type of battery packs.
Anyway let us know what you find out from fisher as I may send mine in as well,if all is OK and the price is worthwhile.

I never owned the 1266x but I swear by the 1265x it has been an excellent detector for me since the 1980's when I got it, and I have beat it around the bushes and all types of terrain and like a Timex watch it kept on ticking. Long live the Fisher 1265X !!!
I hope you can get it fixed, and HH.
Prospector Mike N.S.

I posted this a couple of months ago this place has them for $2.00 each.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?35,1140502,1141335#msg-1141335

1265 still a power house, using a 1270 also an excellent detector goes deeper then the 1265.But both are AWESOME!!