Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

12-21 Rock?? Please Help Identify

grassguy

Guys,

I found this rock yesterday and it rang up 12-21; but I am baffled as to what it might be. It is very hard and dense. All of the houses have been torn down on this block; but apparently someone use to do some type of stone work. I have found hundreds of rocks that have been shaped with a grinding wheel. This just happens to be the first that rang up with my E-trac. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS- I also found my first half dime here (1855).:super:

Any chance you can show a picture of your half dime?

Sorry I only know that some rocks go off on the ET because they are "Hot Rocks"

My understanding is the rocks were heated up and there was a chemical change that caused them to be magnetized

Here are a couple of pics of the 1/2 dime. I appreciate your input; but I am not convinced that that's what this rock is. Hopefully someone else can offer some additional advice. Thanks!!

Almost looks like a handmade stone tool/axe of some sort. The shape is similar to ones that I've seen before. The holes could have been used to connect it to some type of handle.

That "rock" is definitely a man-made object. I would assume that it is made up of some kind of aluminum given the values it gave you. It is clearly flat on one surface which tells me that was the "down-side" surface. it also has drill-marks through it. I would rule out lead as lead does not harden in the fashion of your metal. Lead hardens more smoothly after melting than your object. Aluminum, however, can look "choppy" like your sample if aluminum scrap has been melted, but not thoroughly. I know my answer doesn't necessarily answer your question but my money is on aluminum. I KNOW it is not a meteor and I very certain it is not made of lead. Given your VDI, I would assume it is some kind of aluminum-project-gone-bad. Good luck figuring out what it is and thanks for posting. Please let us know what it is if you find out. Nice find on the half dime, thanks for sharing. HH -Marc

MHirschmann said:
That "rock" is definitely a man-made object. I would assume that it is made up of some kind of aluminum given the values it gave you. It is clearly flat on one surface which tells me that was the "down-side" surface. it also has drill-marks through it. I would rule out lead as lead does not harden in the fashion of your metal. Lead hardens more smoothly after melting than your object. Aluminum, however, can look "choppy" like your sample if aluminum scrap has been melted, but not thoroughly. I know my answer doesn't necessarily answer your question but my money is on aluminum. I KNOW it is not a meteor and I very certain it is not made of lead. Given your VDI, I would assume it is some kind of aluminum-project-gone-bad. Good luck figuring out what it is and thanks for posting. Please let us know what it is if you find out. Nice find on the half dime, thanks for sharing. HH -Marc

I took a dental pick and tried to scratch it but it was to hard and didn't leave a mark. Wouldn't lead or aluminum show a scratch?

I believe that it is some type of stone (or mineral) that has been ground down on both sides (by a grinding wheel). I have found many other rocks (mostly clear quartz) ground down and shaped at this property; but this is the only one that registered on my MD.

It could be what they used to call pot metal. It was like a older version of plastic. Very moldable and easy to produce. The contents could be of any number of junk metal combinations. That would be my guess.

does it have a metallic "clink" to it when tapped with some other metal? Is it light or does it have a "weightiness" to it?

I have found similar "stones" and my best guess for mine is a type of aluminum ore, perhaps slag or a piece of tin that got melted.... I thought I had a meteorite at first, especially because I was finding them everywhere.

Is there a local university you could take it to? Good luck and let us know!

McDean said:
does it have a metallic "clink" to it when tapped with some other metal? Is it light or does it have a "weightiness" to it?

I have found similar "stones" and my best guess for mine is a type of aluminum ore, perhaps slag or a piece of tin that got melted.... I thought I had a meteorite at first, especially because I was finding them everywhere.

No "metallic clink". It is very solid and heavy for the size. A magnet will not stick to it either. I am absolutely puzzled????

Minerals are identified by doing a streak test. If you don't have a streak plate laying around the oasis :rofl:, then just take the lid off your toilet, the underside of the lid will be unglazed. Run your material across the unglazed part and see if it leaves a streak. If so then the color of the streak will help identify or eliminate some suspected minerals. Just because the material is whiteish dosen't mean it will leave a white streak. If it does or doesn't leave a streak then google "mineral streak test" and you will be able to narrow down what you have by the fact of the color of the streak or the fact no streak was left.

QH

grassguy said:
McDean said:

No "metallic clink". It is very solid and heavy for the size. A magnet will not stick to it either. I am absolutely puzzled????

that is quite odd... I have several lumps of material that I have yet to identify... I have one piece that rings up 11-42 and not even a neodymium magnet will pull it... I found the other piece on the surface. E-trac would not even peep on it, however the magnet will lift it right out of my hand... keep us posted if you find anything new on it.....