Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

114 yr.Old picnic ground hunt .

wayne(mj)

My partner Cliff and I found this old site about 5 months ago and just got permission to hunt it. We had a great two days. Cliff uses a mine lab XS and I use the x70. Have had my machine for about 4 months and am really liking this machine. I am a coin hunter and have had fair success . That is till our last two day hunt. Then it was our best ever. This is the ranch.
[attachment 61078 Resizeof2007-06-21023.JPG]

This is the hunt area. Tough job swing a coil in there.
[attachment 61079 Resizeof2007-06-21002.JPG]

This is our host Jim ,a laid back 86 yr. old.I met this gentlemen today and had a chat for 45 minutes and I made a friend . What a very funny guy.
[attachment 61077 Resizeof2007-06-21017.JPG]

I have no pic of my partners coins but his count was about the same as mine except for the Quarters. My silver ranges from a 1886 dime to a 1920 silver nickle. Between the two of us we got 35 silver coins. A couple of big pennies . 1901 Indian -- 1900 V nickle and some old cuff links.

[attachment 61080 Resizeof2007-06-24016.JPG]

These are some cool cuff links.
[attachment 61081 Resizeof2007-06-24017.JPG]
Sorry about the poor pic on the non silver pic's but was in a hurry. I think we have one good hunt left there.

[attachment 61082 Resizeof2007-06-24018.JPG]

Thank you very much for looking. Hope you can all have a hunt like this on. We had a fantastic time. HH all.

Looks like you did very well, and if I counted correctly..you got 20 silver out of the 35! That tall grass is hard to hunt for sure. You may have only had the x70 for 4 months but thinking you learned a lot on this hunt. I am not sure which coil you was using but seems to be doing well for you. Some of them oldies can get deep and tall grass to boot:look:. Again, super job and hope the next hunt is as well or even better for you. Good luck!

Wayne, you found a place detectorists dreams are made of.

Hope it produces many more Silvers before you're finished!

I spend countless hours (years) researching and hunting places exactly like this. Old coins at old sites. In my opinion, there is nothing in the world that can beat finding an old picnic ground, chautauqua ground or fair ground, where people congregated 100+ years ago. Regardless if you have hunted it once, twice or several times, keep going back. You never get them all. Keep us posted on your future visits to the picnic grounds. You might be surprised what that next trip yields. HH Randy

Congrts on the finds..the grove and the coins and cuff links. Only one more hunt? You guys should pound that area until nothing beeps. I remember finding a virgin picnic grove, 3 years of hunting and I still can walk out of there with a keeper. A lot of coins changed hands there and were dropped. Good luck on future hunts. Ron

Nice finds. That's a pretty high silver count, plus another treasure in the chair. A treasure that folks can overlook sometimes. Who said that this was a solitary hobby? It's just a great way to meet folks.
Mick Evans.

n/t

Hey Mike -- The bad news is (the grass won't get cut). I just want a small coil to finish the job up right. If minelab come up with one that will be great , if not I'll figgure something out. I have another machine with a 7" coil and will use it if I have to. A 5" would do just perfect. Good luck on all your hunts and thanks. HH. Wayne.

One more hunt? You can hunt that place until the cows come home and never get it all. I'd keep at it!