Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

10x12 dd coil on vaquero!

did you try it?
the manual says it goes 20 % deeper ,has more sens for smaller items
and has 70% less ground effect.what this less ground effect does mean exactly?

did you try it?
the manual says it goes 20 % deeper ,has more sens for smaller items
and has 70% less ground effect.what this less ground effect does mean exactly?

I did try it on the Lobo st and a few friends have given it a try on the Tejon. We all found that it made the detector feel search head heavy.
I believe that in a lab or on a perfect field it might go 20% deeper, but we don't detect on perfect fieldS. I found that it gave me no extra depth at all, i did find that it gave me more ground coverage and i also found that i had to adjust the disc and the sens on some sites that i searched.
I can't see it having less ground effects when the search head is bigger than a 9x8 i would think that it would suffer more ground effects because it would pick up and recieve more signals from under the larger search head at any one time.

Les, the 12x10 sees less ground effect because of the DD windings. I can see about an inch or two more depth here in Georgia, S.C, but I can understand that in the U.K. and Europe you would probably see no difference because of the soil conditions,(iron contamination, mineralization). I also notice that the 12x10 is harder to ground balance on my Tejon.

...are so different here in europe.
it changes sometimes in every sites.
but as i thought the dd coils better on high mineralisation.
and has more sens on smaller items.
i have a unit with dd coil and it really finds small items like thiny coins.
I dont know only how is the 12x10 on vaquero???
well even if just cover more ground is enough reason to buy because the 8x9 only sensitive in the middle and its kind of slow in a big field.
DO I HAVE TO OVERLAP WITH THE 12X10 A BIT EITHER???

..be problam to GB that on the vaquero
because its always easier GB the V.

and my thought is on V you might dont have to turn back the sens
because itsnt that noisy as the tejon.
but those only thoughts and guessings.

thats why i would like if someone who has V and 10x12 dd coil would check this things for me.

and 1 more thing:
the battery would run out faster with the 12x10 dd ?

i think with the 12x10 you go deeper in georgia because the soil is heavy there and Les doesnt because is mild in england.
the manual says the 12x10 widescan goes deeper in heavy soil and same deep in mild.exactly!

and covers a lot more ground. It sees less ground because it is a double D and only scans down the middle. A little bit heavier, but balances well on the Tejon. Read Gary's UK site-he suggests setting sensitivity a 1. I didn't believe that would work, but it does. Tricky in pinpointing, takes practice. X the target and it will be at the foot or top of the coil. Not many use this coil, but I like it, especially in fields and in the woods. Good luck.......John

ok but what about the vaquero?
can i use it on vaquero also to get the same advantages as on the tejon?

I found no difference in depth on the Tejon, using the 12 by 10. Yes you get much better coverage but it did not give me any more depth on my sites here in Wisconsin. Tesoro claims it will give you better depth if you have mineralized soil coditions. Double D coils see thru mineralization better than concentric coils. It should work the same for you on a V or a C, but I am uncertain how well it does on a Lobo.

Scully

I have been using one in 2 completely different areas of the country for almost a year and a half.
In Birmingham Alabama, I used it from Jan to November last year and I got it for the extreme mineralization problems we have there.
The problem is, there are also veins of natural iron ore also running all over the area that choked back most every thing that is used around there.
My F2, My Compadre, the Vaq with this big coil, a friends E-Trac, guys with Whites units...in average soil nobody got much past 3-4 inches.
Some areas with better soil in the valleys we got deeper, but most of the sites I hunted 2-3 inches was average.
I can tell you the coil did seem to help quiet the Vaq down a lot because some parks I hunted the soil changed almost every 10 feet or so and the standard coil was much noisier and had to be continually balanced at these kinds of places.
I did learn to love that large scanning field, and I have confidence that I wasn't missing much when I hunted in larger areas.
It is a little heavier than the standard coil, but seems well balanced to me and I have never had a problem with the extra weight.

Now I have moved to Kansas with 1000x's better soil.
It seems at a few sites it has not been easy to GB, it all really sounds the same no matter where I turn that knob, but it isn't that way really because I did experiment with moving that knob up and down and after changing the settings I got deeper even though pumping that coil sounded the same no matter where I turned that knob.
Not sure what was going on there, but this only happens at a few sites, not most.
Something to do with this dirt I assume but what I have no idea.

I am going deeper here with all my detectors, but I am sorry to say I really can't give you any depth reports because mostly everything I have found with this coil in disc has usually been around 6 inches or less, maybe a few coins were a little deeper to about 8". but the standard concentric can hit that easily around here too.
I have always hunted in disc since I bought the Vaq because in Bama the threshold was not getting me any deeper.
I have begun experimenting with hunting that way now and as far as finding deep stuff it can sure do it, but pieces of iron have been all I have located so far on the few holes where I have gone real deep.

I still love that wide scanning field and just a few weeks ago at that same site where I was having the GB problems, evidently I had it set correctly that time because I only had a few minutes left so I just rushed all over this large field swinging wide and wild, moving fast with my disc down near iron.
I was hoping to roll over one good signal before I left, and I was hoping the fast recovery time on the Vaq would pick a good target up even at that fast speed.
Guess what...it worked!
Heard a quick solid tone and stopped and came back and dug one of my nicest an biggest gold rings.
Doing the same thing with my 9X8 concentric and covering way less real estate I probably never would have found this thing.

In mineralized soil you will get a bit deeper with the DD.
In good soil, the Concentrics will actually win the depth race, but not everything is always about depth and that wide field and great target separation on the DD coil makes me a fan forever and very happy I bought it.

Eventually I will try to take some time and bury some objects and test these two coils, but that might not be a great test because they are newly buried.
I will ask some guys at my next club meeting if they have a test garden I can try.

HH