Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

10 inch hit

camelman

hi,all im new here and to metal detecting i have a 202 found some i guess im saying it right clad coins and a 1910 wheat
sofar.my? is i shave had hits that say 10 inch deep but dont find anything this had happened about 10 to 15 times im too the point that i dont even dig
them anymore is this normal?

hey camelman, it sounds like your getting falsing - you might be too close to high power lines or more likely, you are hunting on hot ground. if you turn your sensitivity down , it will usually stop that annoying chattering or crackling sound. keep turning the sensitivity down until it stops, and continue hunting. what youre doing is adjusting your machine to the conditions of the ground. its normal, and happens to everybody. when you get away from the warm or hot ground, you can turn it back up. those are some good finds, keep up the good work, and let us know how you do. looking forward to your posts, and hh,

gray ghost.by chatter and or crackling do you mean beeping like crazy if so thats not whats going on,i will be walking along with no sound then get a hit at 10 inch
always a high pitch beep and it repeats but never find anything.thanks for any info

I don't know where you are hunting or what could be down there, But I have had the same thing happen. My QDII will say the object is penny sized and 6 or 8 " deep but when I dig it turns out to be something larger such as a can or chunk of iron several inches deeper than my QDII says it is. Could it be a piece of large metal buried deep?

I have sometimes had this happen to me...Usually I am hunting in Auto-Notch mode (which is supposed to notch out iron, and most pull-tabs)...It is usually caused by a large iron object somewhere within a foot of where your getting the 10" signal...the object is so large that it overloads the detector and still gets through the notch filters...the signal of course is false, but the good news is that it alerts you to a large iron object somewhere nearby, that might prove interesting...Also as stated earlier, overhead power lines, nearby cell towers or radio station towers can also cause these false signals by mixing their signals with your detectors frequency(s) and causing what are known as harmonic signals...Turning the Sensitivity down in small increments until this stops is usually the only choice you have other than moving to a different location...

HH,

BH-LandStar

There could several explanations.

I have a place I hunt around a swimming pool. A fellow with a Whites XLT

saw me detecting there. He hunted there after I did and then I went behind him.

I found coins next to holes he had dug. Some a foot and a half away.

I also found coins in the bottom of holes, that, if he had dug a little farther he

would have found them.

For myself I have found that with experience, I got to where signals don't fool

me as much any more. But they never cease to amaze me sometimes.

HH,

[quote tabdog]For myself I have found that with experience, I got to where signals don't fool

me as much any more. But they never cease to amaze me sometimes.

HH,[/quote]

That is the best explaination of what it takes to be successful in metal detecting. It should be in all owners manuals.