Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1 silver coin to a dozen coppers, is this average? ( 1787 thru 1857 period)

scars

Same as last year, feed back will let others know to either look harder or not to expect to much. This is from four different sites and not including the buttons or relics.

In my book of goodies, I have 4 silver coins from that period and 20 copper coins. Silver: 1744 1 reale, 1757 1 reale, 1776 1/2 reale, 1853 silver 3 cent piece.

Copper:
1 x 1657 french liard
1 x 1723 hibernia
1 x 1786 connecticut copper
4 x george II halfpenny
1 x george III halfpenny
2 x 1841 daniel webster hard times token (size of large cent)
8 x large cents (of which one is pre-1800)
2 x 1857 flying eagle cent (guessing you were meaning to exclude small cents with your 1857 cutoff, but technically these qualify.)

I figure I average one silver coin from this period per year over the years I've been actively detecting. Never found any capped or seated stuff.
But then again, I don't get out as much as I'd like.

n/t

1/2 real 179?, 3 cent silver worn date, and had two dozen coppers. I am on my fourth copper since last week, so it could be anytime then. Thanks

I just did a rough count and I have about 15:1 ratio from my figures.
Most silver coins are Spanish reales of different demoninations and a few American silvers, which are the big exception.

The areas I hunt were without a doubt inhabited by poor working folks, maybe the ratio would be better from those who hunt the wealthier old homestead, but my places were occupied by sawmill workers, iron forge workers, and charcoal makers, so I really never expect to find alot from any one site.

Don

As silver coinage minted was much less than the copper compared more to modern silver coins...Even with higher number of silver coins minted probably 7-8 to 1 even in 1900's coins..Of course all depends how picky the operator is as Explorer can pretty much tell you if its a wheatie or indian head...and some just dig more...so this has to be taken into consideration...